The Corcoran Center researched, developed and implemented a program to accelerate academic, volunteer and service learning activities in a neighborhood of Boston. This place-focused effort activates Boston College departments, programs and activities to direct academic, service learning and volunteer activities to the neighborhood of Mattapan.
Goal: To facilitate positive, community-led neighborhood transformation through interdisciplinary connections with Boston College
Current On-Campus Partners
- The School of Social Work
- The Connell School of Nursing
- Boston College Volunteer and Service Learning Center
- BC Theater Department
- The Carroll School of Management
AY 17/18 Activities
- Day of Service in Mattapan in coordination with 4Boston with 60 volunteers
- Real Estate Field Projects class project team developmened options for the Church of the Holy Spirit in Mattapan Square for the development of several parcels of property
- The BC Children's Theater performed Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to the Mildred Avenue Elementary School for over 150 elementary school children
- Two Boston College Improv Theater Groups ran an Improv Workshop for the Boys and Girls Club Mattapan Teen Center.
- Four faith-based organizations in Mattapan brought 76 youth and parents with their pastors and youth leaders to campus for the BC Artsfest
- In partnership with City Councilor Tim McCarthy and Brighton Marine Health Center Corcoran Center students digitally restored historic images of 60 post commanders dating back to 1919