Boston: A Center for Academic Excellence
school of theology and ministry
Home to over 40 colleges and universities in the metropolitan area, Boston has established itself as an academic center whose faculties and students create an extraordinary intellectual environment. A myriad of courses, lectures, workshops, museums, galleries, and more support and aid students in their academic endeavors. Rich in history, intellectual culture, and academic opportunities, Boston provides students with almost limitless resources for scholarship and enrichment.
STM students have unique access to the riches of Boston's academic inquiry through two of the area's consortia. As a member of the Boston Library Consortium, students gain entry to the libraries of 17 colleges and universities in the area including Boston University, Brandeis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Northeastern, and Tufts.
The STM is also a member of the Boston Theological Institute (BTI). The BTI is one of the largest theological consortia in the world, bringing together the resources of universities and divinity schools throughout the greater Boston area. STM students can take up to one-half of their coursework through other BTI institutions. Students have full access to all the theological libraries of the BTI as well as a vast array of programming, lectures, certificate programs, study and service trips, and student fellowship opportunities.
Member schools of the BTI are:
- Andover Newton Theological School
- Boston College Department of Theology
- Boston College School of Theology and Ministry
- Boston University School of Theology
- Episcopal Divinity School
- Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
- Harvard Divinity School
- Hebrew College
- Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology
- St. John's Seminary
Other academic resources include:
- Boston College School of Theology and Ministry Continuing Education
- Center for Human Rights and International Justice
- The Church in the 21st Century Center
- Roche Center for Catholic Education
- Center for Restorative Justice
- Theological Institute for the New Evangelization
Learn more about living and housing in Boston.