Featuring video with Fr. Michael J. Himes, professor, Boston College Department of Theology
Our spirituality affects our total outlook on life and every aspect of daily living. What is spirituality? What is at the heart of prayer? Do we need community? What can suffering teach us? Join other adults in discussing these important questions and share best spiritual practices.
This course has a required text: Dolores R. Leckey, 7 Essentials for the Spiritual Journey (Crossroad Publishing, 1999)
Week 1: What is Spirituality?
Week 2: What is Prayer?
Week 3: What Can Suffering Teach Us?
Week 4: Do I Need Community?
This course includes:
- Weekly introductions to each new topics;
- 4 videos featuring Fr. Michael J. Himes for each week of the course: spirituality, prayer, suffering, community;
- Text transcripts of each featured video;
- A bonus video featuring Father Michael J. Himes;
- Weekly questions for reflection and discussion; and
- A regularly updated Resources page for further study about topics discussed in this course.
All STM Online: Crossroads courses include these features:
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- The course site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
Additional Materials Needed:
Course text by Dolores R. Leckey, 7 Essentials for the Spiritual Journey (Crossroad Publishing, 1999)
A participant can expect to spend an average of 3-4 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned viewing and interaction online.
Rev. Michael J. Himes, priest of the Diocese of Brooklyn, New York, and professor of theology, Boston College Theology Department.
The readings and the faith journeys of the other participants helped to reinforce my own personal faith. The entire online course has honestly motivated me to spend more time in centering prayer. I have also begun to read other resources to help me remain mindful and centered on God throughout the day. Thank you for offering this practical course. ~ Participant, Spring 2012
Thank you for providing your on-line classes. I live in a rural area and seldom have an opportunity to take a class that supports my faith. This is a wonderful ministry. You have touched many people -- not only the participants, but also the people whose lives they touch! ~ Participant, Fall 2011
The quality of the articles made available was excellent. I do want to go back and re-read many of them and reflect. I thought the discussion was well facilitated and the participants were very respectful especially in light of some potentially controversial topics. ~ Participant, Fall 2010