Grace and Commitment: Religious and the Ordained
This course provides guided discussion based on the Spring 2011 issue of C21 Resources, a free publication of Boston College’s Church in the 21st Century Center. The issue, entitled “The Vocations of Religious and the Ordained,” contains over 20 articles and sidebars which focus on the ministries and identity of bishop, priest, and deacon and the vowed religious life. The issue is edited by Dr. Richard Lennan, a priest of the Diocese of Maitland-New Castle in Australia and the chair of the Weston Jesuit Department of the Boston College School of Theology and Ministry. Issue available online.
The issue on the religious and ordained is a companion to the Fall 2010 C21 Resources issue on the vocations of the laity. See the companion course.
Check the course schedule for future offerings of this course.
- Reading 18 brief one and two page articles by various authors
- Weekly questions for reflection and discussion
- A weekly introduction and study guide
- A resource page to use for further study
All STM Online: Crossroads courses include these features:
- Participants have access 24 hours/ 7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- Site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
Week 1: Religious Life and the Ministry and Identity of Bishop
Week 2: The Ministry and Identity of Priest and of Deacon
Additional Materials Needed
Everything you need for this course is provided on the course web site. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org -- Church in the 21st Century Center – if you’d prefer a hard copy of this issue (while they last).
A participant can expect to spend an average of approximately 4 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned reading and interaction online.
Content Scholar: various, under the editorship of Fr. Richard Lennan, Dr.Theol.