John in Holy Week and Easter
Featuring videos with the late Rev. Daniel J. Harrington, S.J., and Rev. Thomas D. Stegman, S.J.
The Gospel of John is used prominently throughout Holy Week and the Easter season. Fathers Harrington and Stegman artfully present on the Passion Narrative in John and on the Johannine themes throughout the Easter season. This STM Online: Crossroads course is based on a campus workshop presented in Spring 2011.
Getting Started Week: Introduction to the Course
Week 1: The Gospel of John is Different
The “Hour” of Jesus (John 12:20-33) and
Can You Accept Salvation? (John 13:1-15)
Week 2: John’s Passion Narrative
Easter according to John
Carrying on the Mission of Jesus (John 13-17)
This course includes:
- Weekly introductions to each new topic;
- Video segments by each presenter each week;
- Transcripts of the videos;
- Bonus videos from the on-campus workshop;
- Weekly questions for reflection and discussion; and
- A regularly updated Resources page for further study of topics discussed in this course.
All Crossroads courses include these features:
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- The course site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
Additional Materials Needed:
All materials provided. Note: this course is based exclusively on video content. Transcripts of the videos are provided.
Although there is a Bible available online, you may wish to have a Bible available in hard copy also. For online Bibles, we recommend:
- The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops - New American Bible, Revised Edition (NABRE) or
- The Christian Classics Ethereal Library Study Bible - New Revised Standard Edition (NRSV)
The late Rev. Daniel J. Harrington, S.J., was professor of New Testament and editor of New Testament Abstracts, and Rev. Thomas D. Stegman, S.J., is associate professor of New Testament, both at the Boston College School of Theology and Ministry.