At the Heart of Parenting
How has parenting impacted your relationship with God? This course builds on the conviction that spirituality is at the heart of parenting. The gift of grace and other spiritual supports can sustain us through the ups and downs of being a parent.
Guided by Kathy Hendrick’s book The Spirituality of Parenting, we will touch on four dimensions of parenting, a parent's spiritual gifts, potential companions for support on the journey, and prayer for the state of parenthood.
The course is part of the Adult Faith Formation Library series published by Twenty-Third Publications.
This course has a required text: Kathy Hendricks. The Spirituality of Parenting: Connecting Heart and Soul. The Adult Faith Formation Library. Twenty-Third Publications, 2015. ISBN: 978-1-62785-127-5
Check the course schedule for future offerings of this course.
Getting Started Week: Introduction to the course
Week 1: The Vigilant Heart
Week 2: The Joyful Heart
Week 3: The Heavy Heart
Week 4: The Hopeful Heart
This course includes:
- Video clips from a feature film;
- Weekly study guide with questions for reflection and discussion;
- An optional, interactive opportunity to build your insights on the spirituality of parenting into the course content ; and
- A regularly updated Resources page to use for further study.
All Crossroads courses include these features:
- Participants have access 24 hours a day/7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- The course site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course has ended.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
Additional Materials Needed:
Kathy Hendricks. The Spirituality of Parenting: Connecting Heart and Soul. The Adult Faith Formation Library. Twenty-Third Publications, 2015. ISBN: 978-1-62785-127-5
A participant can expect to spend an average of 3-4 hours each week. This commitment includes both preparation and interaction online.
Kathy Hendricks (text) has a master's degree in adult Christian community development from Regis University in Denver and certification as a spiritual director from Benet Hill Center, Colorado Springs
"I'm really happy that I stepped out of my comfort zone and joined this class. Reading everyone's post was incredible and truly filled my ‘spiritual tank’ if there is such a thing!:) I learned that I am not alone- that there are other parents out there struggling, searching, and desperately wanting to be a parent of God. I loved the questions after each reading that made me dig a little deeper and go places in my heart that were happy and painful and made me realize God's presence in all of it! I think for me." -Participant from Fall 2018