The Gospel of Luke
featuring video with Father Michael J. Himes, Boston College Professor of Theology, and articles by Dr. Philip A. Cunningham, former Executive Director, Boston College's Center for Christian-Jewish Learning
Let the Scriptures enrich your spiritual life! In this workshop, explore the Gospel of Luke. In the first week, an article by Dr. Philip A. Cunningham will help participants gain an overview of the Gospel's features, learn about its setting, the Evangelist who wrote it, and the community for which it was written. In the second week, a video featuring Father Michael J. Himes will focus on key insights. Then, explore practices to use the Gospel in prayer and reflection on your life. No previous experience in Scripture study is necessary.
This workshop format was designed for those who prefer to explore the Gospels one at a time. The course material and videos are the same as used in the 6-week course, Encountering Mark, Matthew & Luke: The Synoptic Gospels.
Check the course schedule for future offerings of this course.
This workshop includes:
- A guide for reading the Gospel of Luke by Dr. Philip A. Cunningham
- A study guide each week to help "unpack" the assignments
- A bonus article and video on The Writing of the Gospels
- A video presentation by Father Michael J. Himes
- Weekly questions for reflection and discussion
- A Certificate of Active Participation for those who post at least three messages of substances for each week of content.
All Crossroads courses and workshops include these features:
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- Site is usually open to participants at least three months after the course.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
Bonus! Introductory article and video: "The Writing of the Gospels"
Week 1: "The Healing and Reconciling Savior: Luke's Portrait of Jesus"
Week 2: "A Closer Reflection on Key Themes in Luke"
Additional Materials Needed
Although a Bible is available online, you may also wish to have a Bible available in hard copy.
A participant can expect to spend an average of approximately 4 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned reading and interaction online.
Content Scholars: Father Michael J. Himes (video) and Dr. Philip A. Cunningham (text)