Adult Faith Formation for a Vibrant Church
featuring video with Thomas Groome, Theresa O’Keefe, and Hosffman Ospino
Adult faith formation plays a vital role in animating the local church. Yet, it often suffers relative neglect. Guided by Jane E. Regan’s book Forming a Community of Faith, this course helps us recognize opportunities in our faith communities where faith formation can be nurtured without adding elaborate programs. It explores the implications of a post-modern and diverse culture, key themes of evangelization and catechesis, and basic skills such as the art of adult conversation and new perspectives such as communities of practice, so that we can imagine adult faith formation at the heart of community life.
This course has a required text: Jane E. Regan. Forming A Community of Faith: A Guide to Success in Adult Faith Formation Today. Twenty-Third Publications, 2014
Check the course schedule for future offerings of this course.
Introductory Week: The Contemporary Context for Adult Faith Formation
Week 1: Connecting Evangelization and Adult Faith Formation
Week 2: Key Themes in the Catechetical Vision
Week 3: The Skill of Engaging Adults in Conversation
Week 4: Community of Practice: A New Perspective of Parish Life
This course includes:
- Weekly introductions to each new topic;
- Three videos;
- Text transcripts of each featured video;
- Weekly questions for reflection and discussion; and
- A page of further resources about topics discussed in this course.
All Crossroads courses include these features:
- Participants have access 24 hours / 7 days a week to the course's password protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small community for conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- Site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
Additional Materials Needed:
Jane E. Regan. Forming A Community of Faith: A Guide to Success in Adult faith Formation Today. Twenty-Third Publications, 2014
A participant can expect to spend an average of 3-4 hours each week. This commitment includes both preparation and interaction online.
Content Scholars: STM Professors Thomas Groome, Theresa O’Keefe, Hosffman Ospino, and Jane E. Regan