The Gospel of John
featuring video with Boston College faculty members Father Thomas D. Stegman, S.J., associate professor of New Testament, and the late Daniel J. Harrington, S.J., who was Boston College School of Theology and Ministry Professor of New Testament
Study the Gospel of John with written and video guidance provided by noted experts Father Thomas D. Stegman, S.J., and the late Father Daniel J. Harrington, S.J. Each week Father Stegman presents a commentary on a designated segment of the Gospel, and participants are also invited to read a commentary by the late Father Harrington. By the end of this workshop participants will have a detailed overview of the entire Fourth Gospel. Additional topics addressed are: how John’s Gospel is different from the Synoptic Gospels; the Fourth Gospel and “the Jews”; and how John is used in the Common Lectionary.
NB: There is overlap in the content of this course and the content of the STM Online: Crossroads workshop “John in Holy Week and Easter.”
Check the course schedule for future offerings of this course.
- Weekly videos;
- Text transcripts of each featured video;
- Weekly introductions to each new topic;
- Weekly questions for reflection and discussion;
- A page of further Resources about topics discussed in this course;
All STM Online: Crossroads courses include these features:
- Participants have access 24 hours/ 7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- Site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
Week 1: John 1-6 The Gospel of John is different
Week 2: John 7-12
Week 3: John 13-17 The Problem of “the Jews”
Week 4: John 18-21 John in the Lectionary
Additional Materials Needed:
Course text by Daniel J. Harrington, S.J., Meeting St. John Today: Understanding the Man, His Mission, and His Message. Chicago: Loyola Press, 2011. ISBN: 978-0-8294-2917-6. Although there will be a Bible available online, you may wish to have a Bible available in hard copy also.
A participant can expect to spend an average of 3 hours each week. This commitment includes both preparation and interaction online.
Content Scholars: Father Thomas D. Stegman, S.J., and the late Father Daniel J. Harrington, S.J.