CATECHIST CERTIFICATION FRAMEWORK
Crossroads is working with the Boston Archdiocese to help teachers complete their catechist certification courses. A variety of courses are being offered to meet the requirements of the Boston Archdiocese, which can be viewed in detail on our courses page. Visit our FAQ page for more information on how our courses are conducted.
- Four basic courses are required within the first four years, with completion of at least one course per year. A "basic course" is one five-week course in each of these areas: Sacraments, Scripture, Morality, and Creed. The requirement may also be completed by taking two 3- or 4-week courses on the same topic.
- Course registration and completion is tracked by principals, with school documentation submitted yearly.
- Courses are paid for by schools at the rate of $50 per 5-week course and $25 per 3- or 4-week course.
- Boston Archdiocese will award 30 credit hours for each course with a total of 120 credit hours over the four-year period.
How to Get Started
- Let your principal know which course you would like to take from our schedule of courses.
- The principal should use our Excel template to complete all teacher information.
- Two weeks before each course begins, the principal should email a separate Excel sheet for each course to Jane.Regan@bc.edu and Crossroads@bc.edu.
- Teachers will receive individual email notification confirming their registration in the course along with login information and instructions.
- There is no expectation for participants to be online at a particular time each week. For your convenience, courses are accessible 24/7 during the dates the course site is open.
- To receive a Certificate of Active Participation, a minimum of 3 substantial posts per week in the discussion forum is required. This certificate will be necessary to receive credit from the Boston Archdiocese.
- Although you are only required to complete one course per year, if you choose you may accelerate your certification and complete the required four courses in less than four years.
- To meet the Boston Archdiocese requirements, you may take one 5-week course or two consecutive 3- or 4-week courses.
- If the scheduled courses do not meet your needs and your school has a group of 15 or more teachers who would like to take the same course, Crossroads can work to offer that course at a time convenient for your group. Please email Jane.Regan@bc.edu to discuss details.
- Creed: One 5-week course, The Creed
- Sacraments: One 5-week course, Sacraments in Catholic Life or two 3-week courses, The Eucharist and A Sacramental People.
- Morality: One 5-week course, Christian Faith and Moral Character or Living Faith in Our Social Context
- Scripture: one 5-week course, The Gospel of John or Two 3-week courses from any of the following selections: Encountering Jesus, Jesus Foretold and Fulfilled, The Gospel of Mark, The Gospel of Matthew, the Gospel of Luke, John in Holy Week and Easter.