Youth Minister for Middle and High School
St. Cecilia Parish
See more at:
Jim Cassinelli : firstname.lastname@example.org -
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
To foster the total personal and spiritual growth of middle and high school youth. To empower youth to live as disciples of JesusChrist in today’s world, and to draw them into responsible participation in the life, mission, and work of the Catholic faith community. To provide leadership in the design, implementation and evaluation of the parish youth ministry program. To coordinate the spiritual, educational, ministerial and social activities of youth within the parish community.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: (The essential functions/major responsibilities listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position. Duties and responsibilities are also subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.)
- Works with the Director, Pastor, staff members and volunteers to integrate middle and high school youth into active participation in parish life.
- Responsible for developing and implementing an established parish program for youth that is consistent with the parish mission statement and involves opportunities for spiritual, service, and social activities with emphasis on faith formation. Plans and organizes liturgical celebrations, service projects, retreats, and social functions for the program participants.
- Coordinates and maintains a calendar of youth program activities with the calendars of the parish, vicariate and archdiocese.
- Recruits and trains adult volunteers to help with the youth program and to assist as catechists in the faith formation of middle and high school youth. Selects and trains youth as leaders and peer ministers for the youth program. Provides for the faith formation of all volunteers.
- Prepares and submits an annual youth ministry budget that is consistent with the planned youth program to the Pastor and business manager for approval. Monitors expenditures against the approved budget and organizes fund raising events as needed to help supplement the cost of program activities/events. Maintain records in a timely fashion.
- Collaborates in developing a structured religious education program. Promotes active youth participation within parish liturgical life. Periodically visit St. Cecilia middle school to invite students to participate in events.
- Coordinate with the Parochial Vicar on tasks relative to the Sacrament of Confirmation. Coordinate with the parish priests regarding liturgical celebrations, especially those relating to the Sacrament of Confirmation and the Sacrament of Reconciliation for parish youth. Observe national and archdiocesan guidelines regarding youth ministry and religious education policies.
- Keeps parents informed as to program mission and activities, and invites them to become involved in the program.
- Networks with youth ministers in vicariate, region and archdiocese to plan combined events and share resources.
- Participates in Archdiocesan opportunities for developing youth ministry skills. Attends Archdiocesan youth events with parish youth. Tends to personal spiritual growth through prayer life and retreats.
- Serve as a liason between the young adult ministry and parish staff.
- Maintains a strict level of confidentiality on all matters relating to parish business.
Position encounters frequent new and varied work situation. Individual determines own practices and procedures and contributes to the development of new concepts. Position operates independently with minimal supervision. Be able to speak to large groups. Be able to manage crisis situations in a responsible manner.
SPECIFIC JOB SKILLS:
Proven ability in organizational and communications skills and an understanding of adolescent faith development. Must be able to prioritize workload to meet program requirements. Ability to work both independently and as a member of a pastoral team. Must be flexible, creative, and responsible.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Practical experience working with youth. Demonstrated commitment to youth (grades 6-12) and ability to work with them and their families. Certification for Youth Ministry from the Archdiocese or equivalent education preferred. Degree in Religious Education or related field required and two to four years experience with youth programs in a parish preferred. Practicing Catholic required. Bilingual in Spanish preferred. Valid driver’s license required. Current CPR and/or First Aid card preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, run, talk, reach, sit, finger, hear, handle and perform various motions of the hands/wrists. Lifts and moves items up to 20 pounds.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT: Work is normally performed in an office, youth room, classroom, liturgical or recreational setting. Employee will be required to attend scheduled evening and weekend meetings and functions. This position requires flexible work scheduling to properly administer the program.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described above are representative of the physical capabilities that must be met by an employee and the working conditions that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SUPERVISES: Program volunteers
- See more at: http://careers.naspa.com/jobseeker/job/13399673/Youth%20Minister%20for%20Middle%20and%20High%20School/St.%20Cecilia%20Catholic%20Church%20and%20School/?vnet=0&str=11201&max=100#sthash.9xj7vLtx.dpuf