Religious Studies/Psychology Teacher
Notre Dame Cristo Rey High School
The Cristo Rey Network is comprised of 26 high schools that provide a quality, Catholic, college preparatory education to urban young people who live in communities with limited educational options.
Our school in inner-city Lawrence is a proven success story, one that provides many opportunities for our students to achieve their dreams. We have undoubtedly seen how our school can be a stabilizing force in the lives of our young teens. Our students are succeeding. Considering that many of our students have not done well academically before coming to NDCR, it is impressive that 100% are accepted to a four-year college. We currently have several NDCR graduates studying at some of the nation’s top institutions including Georgetown University and Boston College.
The overarching goal of NDCR is to equip its teen students with the skills and knowledge needed to successfully pursue higher education. All students participate in a college preparatory education enhanced by a unique Corporate Work Study Program (CWSP) where students learn professional work skills while earning income to offset the cost of their high school education. The CWSP is an integral part of the NDCR education. This educational model brings hope to our students and provides them with the tools to succeed now and in the future. Our learning program makes connections for young people between academics and career success. This makes school engaging, relevant and motivates students to succeed.
Without a doubt, NDCR is unique. In a region where few educational successes can be celebrated and where there the need is so great and the resources so limited, our school brings a glimmer of hope to our students, their families, and the community.
- Teach three 9th Grade Sections of Sacred Scripture
- Teach two senior sections of Psychology
- Cover all aspects of the Cristo-Rey curriculum
- Use developmentally and behaviorally age-appropriate tools, materials, activities
- Maintain all pertinent records in Grade Quick
- Manage student behavior
- Keep accurate accounting of books, texts, and/or calculators
Coordination and communication including:
- Student Progress reports
- Report Cards
- Participation in multidisciplinary team meetings
- Communication with parents
- Attendance at required faculty meetings
- Attendance at parent/student conferences
- Attendance at Back to School Evenings
- Attendance at Parent Evening Conferences
Participation in School activities including:
- Consistent and regular work attendance
- In-service training including annual pre-school 4 day orientation program
- Attendance during the 2 staff days immediately after the last day of exams
- Curriculum development
- Other related activities
- Abide by all regulations as indicated in the Faculty Handbook
Teachers must possess:
1) Bachelor’s Degree in Theology, Religious Studies, or a related field (Master’s Degree preferred)
2) Minor concentration or comparable coursework in Psychology
3) Valid Teaching License or working toward licensure.
4) Practicing Roman Catholic
5) Experience teaching religion in a Catholic high school strongly preferred
6) Willingness to promote the vision and values of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur
7) Knowledgeable, sensitive, and inclusive of all cultures, in particular those served by NDCR