school of theology and ministry
To begin the application process, you must submit your application form online. Your personal statement and resume (and writing sample, if applicable) should be uploaded as part of the application form. Within 48 hours of submitting your application, you should receive a confirmation email containing your BC Username and Eagle ID. You must have these credentials to log into BC's student system (the Agora Portal) and check your application status. If you do not receive these credentials after filing your application form, please contact the admissions office.
Interested in just applying to take a course or two? You can apply for non-degree status. Click here to learn more.
A completed degree application to the STM consists of the following. Information on each requirement is provided below:
|☐ Application form||☐ Three letters of recommendation
|☐ Application fee||☐ GRE scores|
|☐ Personal statement||☐ Official transcripts|
|☐ Resume or curriculum vitae||☐ Writing sample (doctoral applicants only)|
The application to the STM must be completed online. In addition to demographic and academic information, applicants must electronically submit their Personal Statement and Resume at the time they submit their application forms.
Once an application has been submitted, an email with your Boston College credentials (your Eagle ID and BC username) will be sent for the purpose of checking the status of an application.
Applicants are encouraged to submit their application materials as soon as possible and before the posted deadlines. Please note: We will communicate your admission decision using the information you provide in the Email Address 1 and Current Mailing Address fields. Please make sure these addresses are valid throughout the entire application process.
A non-refundable fee of $75 is required for every degree and non-degree application submitted.
Applicants have two payments options:
- Pay by credit or debit card via the web; You can pay the application fee at the same time your submit your application form. However, if you do not pay the fee at the same time you submit your application, you can pay online at a later date through the Agora Portal: https://portal.bc.edu. You must use your BC Username and password to log in.
- Pay by check or money order made payable to Boston College, via regular mail. Please include your check with a copy of your application form submission confirmation page and include your name and intended degree program.
Please note: The application fee cannot be refunded for any reason. If you qualify for a fee waiver, you should not pay the fee when you submit the application form. Fee waivers are granted to the following applicants: Jesuits, applicants currently completing a year of service, and current STM students. Email the admissions office at email@example.com to request a waiver.
The personal statement must be uploaded as part of the Application. Your statement should be 3 doubled-space pages and address the following:
- The academic, professional, and personal development that has motivated you to apply to the STM. Include a sketch of your educational background and interests, any experience you have in ministry and/or religious education, and any other relevant professional and volunteer experience
- Your understanding of theological education and/or ministry in the context of the Church’s mission
- How you plan to apply your theological education
- Given your experience, how you assess your principal strengths for theological education and/or ministry as well as your areas of needed development
- Information outlining your specific area and field of academic interest, how your previous academic, professional, and/or pastoral experience has prepared you for studies within that particular field, and for doctoral applicants, the faculty member(s) with whom you would like to work
Resume or curriculum vitae
The resume must be uploaded as part of the Application.
Letters of recommendation
Degree applicants are required to submit three recommendations using the online application system. Each recommender should be familiar with the applicant’s academic competence. For applicants who have been out of school for a significant amount of time, the recommenders should be familiar with the applicant's professional competence. For M.Div. and M.A. applicants, one recommender should be familiar with the applicant's ministerial potential and experience. Applicants to our certificate programs are required to submit one letter of recommendation.
Please be sure that your recommenders are aware of the application deadlines and online process, and choose them carefully to ensure that they can write on your behalf in a timely manner. We are unable to facilitate changing recommenders once you have entered them in the recommendations section of your application. Additionally, you will have the opportunity to send reminder emails to your recommenders via the recommendations section of the Application.
Scores need to be received directly from ETS. Our GRE code is 2508.
- All applicants applying to the Ph.D. and S.T.D. degree programs must submit GRE scores -- no exceptions will be made.
- For master's applicants, the admissions office may accept other standardized tests (for example, the Miller Analogies Test). The admissions committee may also decide to waive this requirement for master's applicants if they have completed a previous graduate degree.
One copy of each transcript from all colleges, universities, seminaries, or theological schools that you have attended. If your college or university will send official transcripts electronically, they can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Otherwise, transcripts must be mailed and be contained in a sealed, signed envelope. If the official transcript is not English, a translation should be provided with the official document.
Please alert us if your transcript will be arriving with a different name than the one you are using on your application (e.g. your maiden name).
For supporting material sent by mail, please use the following address:
Boston College School of Theology and Ministry
P.O. Box 67406
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
For applicants using FedEx or UPS, please use this address:
Boston College School of Theology and Ministry
9 Lake Street
Brighton, MA 02135-3841
Writing sample (required of Ph.D. and S.T.D. applicants only)
The writing sample must be uploaded as part of the Application. The sample should be an academic paper, usually no less than 10 pages, not to exceed 25 pages. S.T.D. applicants are also required to submit a copy of their S.T.L. thesis upon its completion.
The admissions office may contact master's applicants to set up an interview either in person or by Skype.