Bachelor in Sacred Theology (S.T.B.)
school of theology and ministry
Apply Now »
The Bachelor in Sacred Theology (S.T.B.) is a first level, three-year ecclesiastical degree granted in the name of the Holy See through the Weston Jesuit department of the School of Theology and Ministry (STM) by virtue of its status as an Ecclesiastical Faculty accredited by the Vatican Congregation of Catholic Education. It is offered only in conjunction with the Master of Divinity (M.Div.), a three-year civil degree. Building on the solid theological and practical foundation for ordained and full-time lay ecclesial ministry established by the requirements of the M.Div. degree, the S.T.B. prepares one to pursue the Licentiate of Sacred Theology (S.T.L.), a second level, research-oriented ecclesiastical degree also offered by the STM.
The S.T.B. program has additional requirements beyond those of the M.Div. program. The S.T.B. can be useful for those who intend to apply for admission to S.T.L. programs abroad, where the S.T.B. and not an equivalent course of studies, is often required for application and admission.
FOCUS OF THE S.T.B.:
The focus of the S.T.B. is the same as that of the M.Div., the civil degree with which it must be pursued.
Upon successful completion of the following requirements, the S.T.B. degree is awarded together with the M.Div. degree:
- 24 credit hours of philosophy
- All requirements of the M.Div. program with a G.P.A. of at least 3.0
- Proficiency in Latin, demonstrated either through recent successful coursework or by passing a translation examination
- S.T.B. comprehensive examination, given in the final semester of the program
PREREQUISITES FOR ADMISSION:
- Application for the S.T.B. is made in conjunction with the application to the M.Div. program. Application procedures and requirements for admission to the S.T.B. program are the same as described on this website for the M.Div. program, with the exception that applicants normally must have already completed at least 24 credit hours of philosophy. In exceptional cases, this requirement may be completed after admission to the program.
- Students will not be accepted for the S.T.B. program alone; neither is the S.T.B. degree given apart from the M.Div. degree.