Barbara E. Wolfe, PhD, PMHCNS-BC, FAAN
associate dean for research and professor
Maloney Hall 226
- Ph.D. - Boston College
- M.S.N. - Yale University
- B.S.N. - Syracuse University
Eating disorders; anorexia nervosa; bulimia nervosa; serotonin; neurotransmitter regulation; dieting behavior; impulsivity; depression; psychobiology.
Dr. Wolfe’s research focuses on the psychobiology of eating disorders. In particular, her work focuses on the relationship between neurotransmitter functioning and mood, impulsivity, and eating behavior. Her research also explores the influence of dieting on neurotransmitter precursor availability and related behaviors.
Dr. Wolfe received her B.S.N .from Syracuse University, her M.S.N. for Yale University, and Ph.D. from Boston College. She is certified as an advanced practice Registered Nurse in the specialty of Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing. She is an active member of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, serving as President from 2003-2004. She is also a member of the Eating Disorders Research Society, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, and a Fellow in the American Academy of Nursing.
APPOINTMENTS & AWARDS
- 2013 - Annie Goodrich Distinguished Lectureship Awardee, Institute for Living
- 2013 - Mary A. Manning Nurse Mentoring Award, Massachusetts Association for Registered Nurses (MARN)
- 2013-Present - Trustee, American Psychiatric Nursing Foundation
- 2007-2013 - Member, American Psychiatric Association DSM-V Eating Disorders Work Group
- 2009-2012 - Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Executive Nurse Fellow
- Cousins, A., Friezinger, M., Duffy, M., Gregas, M., & Wolfe, B. E. (in press). Self-report of eating disorder symptoms among women with ovulatory and unexplained infertility. To appear in Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecological Nursing.
- Jennings, K. M., Kelly-Weeder, S., & Wolfe, B. E. (2015). Binge eating among racial minority groups in the United States: an integrative review. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, 2(2), 117-125. doi: 10.1177/1078390315581923
- Cousins, A., Freizinger, M., Duffy, M. E., Gregas, M., & Wolfe, B. E. (2015). Self-report of eating disorder symptoms among women with and without infertility. Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecological Nursing, 44(3), 380-388. doi:10.1111/15526909.12573
- Phillips, K. E., Keane, K., & Wolfe, B. E. (2014). Peripheral brain derived neurotrophic factor (bdnf) in bulimia nervosa: a systematic review. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 28(2), 108-113. doi: 10.1016/j.apnu.2013.11.006
- Attia, E., Becker, A. E., Bryant-Waugh, R., Hoek, H. W., Kreipe, R. E., Marcus, M. D., Mitchell, J. E., Striegel, R. H., Walsh, B. T., Wilson, G. T., Wolfe, B. E., & Wonderlich, S. (2013). Feeding and eating disorders in DSM-5. American Journal of Psychiatry, 170(11), 1237-1239. doi: 10.1176/appi.ajp.2013.13030326