Barbara E. Wolfe, PhD, PMHCNS-BC, FAAN
associate dean for research and professor
Cushing Hall 433A
- Ph.D. - Boston College
- M.S.N. - Yale University
- B.S.N. - Syracuse University
Eating disorders; anorexia nervosa; bulimia nervosa; serotonin; neurotransmitter regulation; dieting behavior; impulsivity; depression; psychobiology.
Dr. Wolfe’s research focuses on the psychobiology of eating disorders. In particular, her work focuses on the relationship between neurotransmitter functioning and mood, impulsivity, and eating behavior. Her research also explores the influence of dieting on neurotransmitter precursor availability and related behaviors.
Dr. Wolfe received her B.S.N .from Syracuse University, her M.S.N. for Yale University, and Ph.D. from Boston College. She is certified as an advanced practice Registered Nurse in the specialty of Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing. She is an active member of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, serving as President from 2003-2004. She is also a member of the Eating Disorders Research Society, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, and a Fellow in the American Academy of Nursing.
APPOINTMENTS & AWARDS
- 2013 - Annie Goodrich Distinguished Lectureship Awardee, Institute for Living
- 2013 - Mary A. Manning Nurse Mentoring Award, Massachusetts Association for Registered Nurses (MARN)
- 2013-Present - Trustee, American Psychiatric Nursing Foundation
- 2007-2013 - Member, American Psychiatric Association DSM-V Eating Disorders Work Group
- 2009-2012 - Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Executive Nurse Fellow
- Phillips, K. E., Keane, K., & Wolfe, B. E. (2014). Peripheral brain derived neurotrophic factor (bdnf) in bulimia nervosa: a systematic review. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 28(2), 108-113. doi: 10.1016/j.apnu.2013.11.006
- Attia, E., Becker, A. E., Bryant-Waugh, R., Hoek, H. W., Kreipe, R. E., Marcus, M. D., Mitchell, J. E., Striegel, R. H., Walsh, B. T., Wilson, G. T., Wolfe, B. E., & Wonderlich, S. (2013). Feeding and eating disorders in DSM-5. American Journal of Psychiatry, 170(11), 1237-1239. doi: 10.1176/appi.ajp.2013.13030326
- Wolfe, B. E. (2013). The value of pilot studies in clinical research: A clinical translation of the research article titled “In search of an adult attachment stress provocation to measure effect on the oxytocin system”. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, 19(4), 192-194. doi: 10.1177/1078390313493248
- Wolfe, B. E., Kelly-Weeder, S., Malcom, A. W., McKenery, M. (2013) Accuracy of self-reported body weight and height in remitted anorexia nervosa. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, 19(2), 66-70. doi: 10.1177/1078390313481062
- Wolfe, B. E., Metzger, E. D., Whittaker, A. E., & Jimerson, D. C. (2013). In T. M. Buttaro, J. Trybulski, P. P. Bailey, & J. Sandberg-Cook (Ed.), Primary care: A collaborative practice (4th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Mosby.