Melissa Sutherland, PhD, FNP-BC
Maloney Hall 364
- Ph.D. - University of Virginia
- B.S.N., M.S.N. - Binghamton University
- B.S. - Cornell University
Intimate partner violence, STDs/HIV, health consequences of violence
Dr. Sutherland is an Associate Professor. Clinically, she practiced as a family nurse practitioner at a public health department in upstate New York for 10 years. At the health department, she worked with patients and populations with a specific focus on sexually transmitted infections. Her research and scholarship addresses the issue of interpersonal violence and its influence on health outcomes among adolescent and young adult women.
Dr. Sutherland has also been involved in the initiative to develop an interdisciplinary Public Health Minor at BC. In spring 2014, she taught the first course in the initiative, Public Health in a Global Society. Other semesters, Dr. Sutherland has co-taught with faculty at the School of Social Work.
SELECTED APPOINTMENTS & AWARDS
- 2014-2016 - NIH R03 grant: "Violence Screening in College Health Centers". Funded by NIH's Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health & Human Development.
- 2015 - Excellence in Teaching and Clinical Research Award, Connell School of Nursing
- 2013-present - Boston Public Health Commission's Chlamydia Advisory Board
- 2013-present - Committee for Community Service Board at Boston Children's Hospital
- 2011-present - Nursing Network Violence Against Women International Advisory Board Member (Treasurer)
- Sutherland, M. A., Fantasia, H. C., & Fontenot, H. B. (2015). Reproductive coercion and partner violence among college women. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing, 44(2), 218-227. doi:10.1111/1552-6909.12550
- Cory, A., Boyle, K., McClain, N., Sutherland, M. A. (2014). Examining nutrition among a sample of 3-to 5-year-old children living in rural Jamaica. Pediatric Nursing, 40(6), 279.
- Fantasia, H. C., Sutherland, M. A., Fontenot, H. B., & Ierardi, J. A. (2014). Knowledge, attitudes and beliefs about contraceptive and sexual consent negotiation among college women. Journal of Forensic Nursing, 10(4), 199-207. doi:10.1097/JFN.0000000000000046
- Sutherland, M. A., Fontenot, H. B., & Fantasia, H. C. (2014). Beyond assessment: Examining providers' responses to disclosures of violence. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, 26(10), 567-573. doi:10.1002/2327-6924.12101
- Sutherland, J. L., Amar, A. F., & Sutherland, M. A. (2014). Victimization and perpetration of sexual violence in college age men and women. Journal of Forensic Nursing, 10(3), 153-159. doi:10.1097/JFN.0000000000000033