Melissa Sutherland, Ph.D., FNP-BC
Cushing Hall 421
- Ph.D. - University of Virginia
- B.S.N., M.S.N. - State University of New York, Binghamton
- B.S. - Cornell University
Intimate partner violence, STDs/HIV, health consequences of violence
Dr. Sutherland is an assistant professor at the Connell School of Nursing. Before joining the faculty she was practicing as a nurse practitioner at a sexually transmitted disease clinic in upstate New York. She completed her dissertation in May 2008 at the University of Virginia. Her dissertation was titled "Dissociation, violence and risk reducing behaviors in women" and examined lifetime violence, dissociative experiences and safer sex practices in a sample of women. She has worked as a maternal/child nurse, community health, and public health. Dr. Sutherland's research focuses on health promotion, specifically sexual health, among women experiencing violence.
SELECTED APPOINTMENTS & AWARDS
- 2010 American Nurses Foundation Gloria Smith, Ph.D., RN, FAAN/ANF Scholar: Intersection of violence and reproductive health in a sample of women
- 2010 Visiting Scholar, McLean Hospital
- 2009-2010 Spirit Award, Connell School of Nursing, Boston College
- 2006-2008 National Institute of Nursing Research/National Institutes of Health, 08/06 - 06/08 1F31NR010091-01: Dissociation, violence and risk reducing behaviors in women
- Sutherland, M. A., Fontenot, H. B., Fantasia, H. C. (in press). Beyond screening: providers' responses to violence. To appear in Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners.
- Coakley, C., Bolton, P., Kopeski, L., Slifka, K., Sutherland, M. A. (in press). The incidence of metabolic risk factors in an inpatient psychiatric setting. To appear in Journal of Psychosocial Nursing, 50(3), 24-30. DOI: 10.3928/02793695-20120207-01
- Sutherland, M. A., Fantasia, H. C., Fontenot, H. B., Harris, A. L. (2012). Safer sex and partner violence in a sample of women. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 8(9), 717-724.
- Amar, A., Sutherland, M., Laughon, K., Bess, R., & Stockbridge, J. (2012). Peer influences within the campus environment on help seeking related to violence. Journal of the National Black Nurses’ Association, 23(1), 1-7.
- Fantasia, H.C., Sutherland, M.A., Fontenot, H.B., & Lee-St. John, T.J. (2012). Chronicity of partner violence, contraceptive patterns and pregnancy risk. Contraception. Advance online publication. doi:10.1016/j.contraception.2012.03.005