Melissa Sutherland, PhD, FNP-BC
Maloney Hall 364
- Ph.D. University of Virginia
- M.S.N. Binghamton University
- B.S.N. Binghamton University
- B.S. Cornell University
Intimate partner violence, STDs/HIV, health consequences of violence
Dr. Sutherland is an Associate Professor. Clinically, she has practiced as a family nurse practitioner at a public health department and a community clinic for uninsured/under-insured adults. Her research and scholarship addresses the issue of interpersonal violence and its influence on health outcomes among adolescent and young adult women.
Dr. Sutherland has also been involved in the initiative to develop an interdisciplinary Public Health Minor at BC. In spring 2014, she taught the first course in the initiative, Public Health in a Global Society. Other semesters, Dr. Sutherland has co-taught with faculty at the School of Social Work.
SELECTED APPOINTMENTS & AWARDS
- 2014–2016: NIH R03 grant— "Violence Screening in College Health Centers" funded by NIH's Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health & Human Development
- 2015: Excellence in Teaching and Clinical Research Award, Connell School of Nursing
- 2013–present: Boston Public Health Commission's Chlamydia Advisory Board
- 2013–present: Committee for Community Service Board at Boston Children's Hospital
- 2011–present: Nursing Network Violence Against Women International Advisory Board Member (Treasurer)
additional appointments & awards »
- Fontenot, H. B., Fantasia, H. C., & Sutherland, M. A. (2015). HPV and HPV vaccine information among a national sample of college and university websites. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 28(4), 218-23. doi: 10.1002/2327-6924.12312.
- Sutherland, M. A., Hutchinson, M. K., & Fantasia, H. (2015). Screening for intimate partner and sexual violence in college women: Missed opportunities. Women's Health Issues, 26(2), 217-224. doi: 10.1016/j.whi.2015.07.008.
- Fantasia, H. C., Fontenot, H. B., Sutherland, M. A., & Lee-St.John, T. (2015). Forced sex and sexual consent among college men and women. Journal of Forensic Nursing, 11(4), 223–231. doi: 10.1097/JFN.0000000000000086.
- Fontenot, H. B., & Fantasia, H. C. (2015). HPV9 vaccine for the prevention of human papillomavirus-related cancers. Nursing for Women's Health, 19(4), 365-370. doi:10.1111/1751-486X.12223
- Sutherland, M. A., Fantasia, H. C., & Fontenot, H. B. (2015). Reproductive coercion and partner violence among college women. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing, 44(2), 218-227. doi:10.1111/1552-6909.12550
additional publications »