Judith Shindul-Rothschild, PhD, RNPC
Maloney Hall 370
- Ph.D. Boston College
- M.S.N. Yale University
- B.S. Boston College
Registered nurse staffing in hospitals; quality of care and patient outcome research; impact of national and state health care reform on the nursing workforce; collective bargaining and nursing labor issues; psychopharmacology
Judith Shindul-Rothschild is an associate professor at Boston College School of Nursing where she teaches psychiatric mental health nursing to undergraduate and graduate students. She is a certified psychiatric nurse clinical specialist and has practiced in a variety of mental health care settings. Dr. Shindul-Rothschild's research and writings have focused on the relationships between health care financing, registered nurse staffing, nurses' working conditions, and the quality of care in hospital settings.
Dr. Shindul-Rothschild is co-author of the book Aging and Public Policy: Social Control or Social Justice? She has published numerous articles on the impact of health policies on patient care and nursing practice in professional journals such as The American Nurse, The American Journal of Nursing, Advanced Practice Nursing, Best Practices and Benchmarking in Healthcare, Critical Care Nursing, Journal of Emergency Nursing, Journal of Nursing Administration, Journal of Nursing Care Quality, Journal of Nursing Education, Policy, Politics and Nursing Practice, Nursing Management, Revolution, and The Massachusetts NURSE Newsletter.
She and Suzanne Gordon, a journalist, have published articles for the public on the adverse effects of competition or market based health financing in The Boston Globe, Los Angeles Times, Miami Herald, and The Nation. She has been widely quoted by the national print, television, and radio media in the United States, Australia and Canada including Good Morning America, NBC Nightly News, PBS, Canadian Broadcasting Company, Australian Public Radio, The New York Times, US News and World Report, Newsweek, USA Today, Bloomberg BNA, Modern Healthcare, The Wall Street Journal and National Public Radio. In the past year, she has been invited to testify before the Massachusetts Health Policy Commission and the Massachusetts Joint Committee on Health Care Financing on Massachusetts’s laws limiting the number of patients assigned to registered nurses and the impact of registered nurse staffing on nurse sensitive outcomes.
Dr. Shindul-Rothschild is a Distinguished Practitioner in the National Academy of Practice. She has served as an appointed member of the Congress on Economics in the American Nurses Association and she is a past president of the Massachusetts Nurses Association. She is currently the Faculty Advisor for the Massachusetts Student Nurse Association, a constituent of the National Student Nurse Association. She has served as a faculty representative to the Boston College Athletic Advisory Committee and is the academic advisor for many student-athletes in the William F. Connell School of Nursing.
SELECTED APPOINTMENTS & AWARDS
- 2014: Mary Manning Mentorship Award, American Nurses Association (ANA) Massachusetts
- 2014: Teaching in New Media Award, Eteaching
- 2013: 90 Nurses for 90 Years, Yale University School of Nursing
- 2011: Award for Outstanding Teaching and Mentorship, Senior Class of the William F. Connell School of Nursing
- 1999: Excellence in Academic Nursing Education Award, District 5, Massachusetts Nurses Association
- Flanagan, J. M., Stamp, K. D., Gregas, M., & Shindul-Rothschild, J. (2016). Predictors of 30 day readmission for pneumonia. Journal of Nursing Administration, 46(2), 69–74. doi:10.1097/NNA.0000000000000297
- Shindul-Rothschild, J. (2015). Testimony on proposed regulations by health policy commission on nurse staffing quality measures on behalf of the Massachusetts Nurses Association. Retrieved from Massachusetts Health Policy Commission website: http://www.mass.gov/anf/budget-taxes-and-procurement/oversight-agencies/health-policy-commission/nurse-staffing/20150325-mna-judith-shindulrothschild.pdf
- Shindul-Rothschild, J. (2015). Substance use. In G. Harkness & R. DeMarco (Eds.), Community and public health nursing: Evidence for practice, 2nd ed. (pp. 325-356). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Shindul-Rothschild, J. (2015). Community mental health. In G. Harkness & R. DeMarco (Eds.), Community and public health nursing: Evidence for practice, 2nd ed. (pp. 439-468). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Shindul-Rothschild, J., & Gregas, M. (2014). Patient turnover and nursing employment in Massachusetts hospitals before and after health insurance reform: Implications for the patient protection and Affordable Care Act. Policy, Politics, & Nursing Practice, 14(3-4), 151-162. doi: 10.1177/1527154414527829