Tam H. Nguyen PhD, MSN/MPH, RN
Maloney Hall 362A
- Ph.D. - Johns Hopkins University
- M.S.N./M.P.H. - Johns Hopkins University
- B.S.N. - University of Maryland
Health promotion/disease prevention, chronic disease management, vulnerable/hard to reach populations, community-based participatory research, and psychometrics.
Dr. Nguyen is an assistant professor at the William F. Connell School of Nursing, and teaches courses on evidence-based practice and population/public health. Dr. Nguyen’s primary line of research focuses on preventing chronic disease, such as high blood pressure and diabetes, among minority populations. Given the challenges many minorities have with health literacy her research also examines the association and impact of health literacy on health outcomes among minorities. Dr. Nguyen was the Principal Investigator on a grant titled, “Hypertension and Health Literacy among Vietnamese Americans in 2012,” and is currently engaged in research that aims to adapt and translate diabetes prevention interventions for Asian Americans.
- Kim, K. B., Kim, M. T., Lee, H. B., Nguyen, T. H., Bone, L. R., & Levine, D. (2016). Community health workers as counselors/case managers in a self-help diabetes management program. American Journal of Public Health, 106(6), 1052-1058. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2016.303054
- Nguyen, T. H. (2015). Modern measurement approaches to health literacy scale development and Refinement: Overview, current uses, and next steps. Journal of Health Communication, 20(sup2), 112–115. doi: 10.1080/10810730.2015.1073408
- Kim, M. T., Kim, K. B., Huh, B., Nguyen, T. H., Han, H. R., Bone, L. R., & Lavine, D. (2015). The Effect of a community-based self-help intervention: Korean Americans with Type 2 Diabetes. American Journal of Preventive Health, 49(5), 726–737. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2015.04.033
- Nguyen, T. H., H. J. Park, Han, H. R., Chan, K., Paasche-Orlow, M., Haun, J., Kim, M. T. (2015). State of the science of health literacy measures: Validity implications for minority populations. Patient Education and Counseling. Advance online publication. doi:10.1016/j.pec.2015.07.013
- Nguyen, T. H., Nguyen, T. N., Fischer, T., Ha, W., & Tran, T. V. (2015). Type 2 diabetes among Asian Americans: Prevalence and prevention. To appear in World Journal of Diabetes, 6(4), 543-547. doi:10.4239/wjd.v6.i4.543
- Han, H. R., Huh, B., Kim, M. T., Kim, J., & Nguyen, T. H. (2014). Development and validation of the assessment of health literacy in breast and cervical cancer screening. Journal of Health Communication: International Perspectives, 19, 267-284. doi:10.1080/10810730.2014.936569