Natalie McClain, Ph.D., RN, CPNP
Cushing Hall 424
- Ph.D. - University of Virginia
- B.S.N., M.S.N. - University of Texas Health Science Center Houston
Pediatrics and forensic nursing, childhood sexual abuse, identifying factors that influence disclosure, coping following childhood sexual abuse, outcomes of delayed disclosure, sexual assault, role of forensic nurses in the care of survivors of sexual assault, evidentiary findings following sexual assault
Dr. McClain has been working in the field of pediatric nursing since graduating with her bachelor of science in nursing. After graduating with a master’s of science in nursing from the University of Texas Health Science Center Houston, she worked at the Children’s Assessment Center, an advocacy center providing services for child victims of sexual abuse in Houston, Texas. At the assessment center and later in Charlottesville, Virginia, Dr. McClain performed medical forensic exams in cases of sexual assault, testified in both civil and criminal trials, and served as an expert witness for the FBI. In 2004, she received her Ph.D. from the University of Virginia. Dr. McClain’s dissertation research focused on the process of disclosure following childhood sexual abuse. Dr. McClain’s clinical experience and research is in the area of forensic nursing and more specifically, improving outcomes for victims of sexual violence and child maltreatment.
SELECTED APPOINTMENTS & AWARDS
- 2008 - present Nurse Scientist Children’s Hospital Boston
- 2007 Massachusetts Association of Colleges of Nursing, Academic Nursing Early Career Award
- 2005 - 2005 Sigma Theta Tau Gamma Epsilon Chapter Research Grant Award
- 2004 First Place Biological and Medical Sciences: The Fifth Annual Robert J. Huskey Graduate Research Exhibition at The University of Virginia
- 2004 - present Research Associate McLean Hospital
- Amar, A., McClain, N. & Marchetti, C.A. (2012). Child and adolescent victims of trauma. In E. Yearwood, G. Pearson, & J.A. Newland (Eds.). Child and Adolescent Behavioral Health: A Resource for Advanced Practice Psychiatric and Primary Care Practitioners in Nursing. Ames, IA: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing.
- Sutherland, M.A., Fantasia, H.C., & McClain, N.M. Abuse experiences, substance use and reproductive health in women seeking care at an emergency department. Journal of Emergency Nursing, (in press).
- McClain, N.M., & Garrity, S.E. (2011). Sex Trafficking and the Exploitation of Adolescents. Journal of Obstetrics, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing, 40(2), 243-252.
- McClain, N., Laughon, K., Steeves, R., & Parker, B. (2007). Balancing the needs of the scientist and subject in trauma focused research. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 29(1), 1-8.
- McClain, N. (2007). Violence as a Health Care Problem. In J. Creasia and B. Parker (Eds). Conceptual Foundations: The Bridge to Professional Nursing Practice, 4th ed (chapter 18). St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.