M. Katherine Hutchinson, PhD, RN, FAAN
associate dean, graduate programs and professor
Maloney Hall 220
- Postdoctoral, University of Pennsylvania
- Ph.D. University of Delaware
- M.S.N. Univeristy of Delaware
- B.S.N. Michigan State University
Adolescent and young adult sexual risk behaviors and substance use; family and community influences of adolescent risk behaviors; parent-teen sexual communication; family-based HIV risk reduction interventions; health disparities; global family health; secondary data analysis
M. Katherine Hutchinson, Ph.D., RN, FAAN, joined the Connell School in 2012 as a tenured professor and associate dean for graduate programs. She received her B.S.N. from Michigan State University, her M.S.N from the University of Delaware, and her Ph.D. in Human Development and Family Studies from the University of Delaware. She completed post-doctoral training at the University of Pennsylvania Center for Health Outcomes and Policy Research (CHOPR). Prior to coming to Boston College, Dr. Hutchinson served on the faculty of the schools of nursing at the University of Pennsylvania and New York University.
Dr. Hutchinson’s research focuses on adolescent and young adult risk behaviors and influential parenting behaviors. She developed an instrument to measure parent-teen sexual risk communication (PTSRC-III Scale) that has been translated into six languages and used by researchers across the U.S. and around the world. Dr. Hutchinson has been a grant reviewer for NIH, Sigma Theta Tau International, and the American Nurses Foundation. Since 2001, she has been principal- or co-investigator on numerous NIH-funded research projects. From 2007 to 2012, she led a randomized controlled trial mother-daughter HIV risk reduction intervention in Kingston, Jamaica (R01 NR010478), with collaborators from the University of the West Indies.
SELECTED APPOINTMENTS & AWARDS
- 2012: National Council on Family Relations – Research on Men’s Group, Research Article of the Year Award
- 2011: University of Delaware Presidential Citation for Outstanding Achievement
- 2011: Suzanne Feetham Nurse Scientist Family Research Award, Eastern Nursing Research Society
- 2008: Fellow, American Academy of Nursing (FAAN)
- Nadimpalli, S., VanDevanter, N., Hutchinson, M. K., Islam, N., & Cleland, C. (2016). The association between discrimination and the health of Sikh Asian Indians. Health Psychology, 35(4), 351-355. doi: 10.1037/hea0000268
- Sutherland, M.A., Hutchinson, M. K., & Fantasia, H. (2015). Screening for intimate partner and sexual violence in college women: Missed opportunities. Women's Health Issues, 26(2), 217-224. doi: 10.1016/j.whi.2015.07.008
- Cederbaum, J. A., & Hutchinson, M. K. (in press). Parent-child communication about abstinence and safer sex in parochial school families. To appear in Journal of HIV/AIDS and Social Services
- Cederbaum, J., Barman, A., A., Guerrero, E. G., & Hutchinson, M. K. (2016). Relationship satisfaction and communication among urban minority HIV-positive and HIV-negative mothers: The influence on daughters' alcohol use. Journal of Family Issues, 37(2), 155–176. doi: 10.1177/0192513X13513582
- Hutchinson, M. K., Jemmott, L. S., Jemmott, J. B., Hewitt, H. H., Waldron, N., Kahwa, E., … Kang, S.-Y. (2016). Randomized controlled trial of Jamaican Mother-Daughter HIV Risk Reduction Intervention: Mothers' and daughters' outcomes. Journal of Adolescent Health.
- Katigbak, C., Foley, M., Roberts, L., & Hutchinson, M. K. (2016). Experiences and lessons learned in using CBPR to recruit Asian American immigrant research participants. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 48(2), 210-218. doi: 10.1111/jnu.12194