Allyssa L. Harris, RN, PhD, WHNP-BC
Cushing Hall 302
- B.S., M.S., Ph.D. - Boston College
- A.D.N. - Gardner Webb College
Adolescent sexual risk behaviors, media influences, urban health and healthcare disparities
Allyssa joined the Boston College faculty in the fall of 2007. She is a certified women's health nurse practitioner and teaches advance practice in women's health nursing and theoretical foundations in women's health and pediatric nursing as well as childbearing clinical. She also gives guest lectures in advance practice in pharmacology and research. Allyssa currently provides women's health care at Roxbury Comprehensive Community Health Center and has also held positions at Symmes Hospital and The Cambridge Hospital. In January 2009, Allyssa was elected to the role of assistant department chair. Dr. Harris' research interests include adolescent sexual decision-making and risk behaviors and healthcare disparities. She is a member of the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International, ENRS, CANS, Association of Black Nursing Faculty and the Women's Health Nurse Practitioner Association. She received her associates degree in nursing from Gardner-Webb College in North Carolina and her bachelor, master's and doctoral degrees in nursing from Boston College.
SELECTED APPOINTMENTS & AWARDS
- 2014-Present - Member, Editorial Review Board, Nursing for Women's Health
- 2014-2016 - REIDS Scholar, Center for Interdisciplinary Research on AIDS, Yale University
- 2013 - Nurse of the Year, Nursing Research, Massachusetts Chapter of the March of Dimes
- Faculty Appointment at the Munn Center for Nursing Research at MGH
- 2011 - Excellence in Nursing Education/Teaching, New England Black Nurses Association
- Harris, A. L. (in press). Vulvar dermatology, In J.W. Hawkins, D. Roberto-Nichols, & J.L. Stanley-Haney (Ed.), Guidelines for Nurse Practitioners in Gynecologic Settings (11th ed.).
- Harris, A. L. (in press). Pelvic floor dysfunction, In J.W. Hawkins, D. Roberto-Nichols, & J.L. Stanley-Haney (Eds.), Guidelines for Nurse Practitioners in Gynecologic Settings (11th ed.). Springer Publishing.
- Harris, A. L. (in press). A second look: Salpingectomy and ovarian cancer prevention. Nursing for Women's Health.
- Fontenot, H. B., & Harris, A. L. (2014). Pharmacologic management of osteoporosis. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing, 43(2), 236-245. doi: 10.1111/1552-6909.12285
- Flanagan, J. M., Harris, A. L., & Jones, D. A. (2013). Advanced practice registered nurses: Accomplishments, trends, and future, in Joel, L. A. (Ed.), Advanced practice nursing: Essentials for role development (3rd ed.) (pp. 429-439). Philadelphia, PA: F A Davis.