Allyssa L. Harris, RN, Ph.D., WHNP-BC
Cushing Hall 302
- B.S., M.S., Ph.D. - Boston College
- A.D.N. - Gardner Webb College
Urban health, healthcare disparities, women’s knowledge development and decision-making, adolescent health and contraception.
Allyssa joined the Boston College faculty in the fall of 2007. She is a certified women's health nurse practitioner and teaches advance practice in women's health nursing and theoretical foundations in women's health and pediatric nursing as well as childbearing clinical. She also gives guest lectures in advance practice in pharmacology and research. Allyssa currently provides women's health care at Roxbury Comprehensive Community Health Center and has also held positions at Symmes Hospital and The Cambridge Hospital. In January 2009, Allyssa was elected to the role of assistant department chair. Dr. Harris' research interests include adolescent sexual decision-making and risk behaviors and healthcare disparities. She is a member of the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International, ENRS, CANS, Association of Black Nursing Faculty and the Women's Health Nurse Practitioner Association. She received her associates degree in nursing from Gardner-Webb College in North Carolina and her bachelor, master's and doctoral degrees in nursing from Boston College.
SELECTED APPOINTMENTS & AWARDS
- Faculty Appointment at the Munn Center for Nursing Research at MGH
- February 2011 - Excellence in Nursing Education/Teaching, New England Black Nurses Association
- 2010 - Fellow of the National Academies of Practice
- 10/2008 Dean's Stimulus Grant Awardee; Connell School of Nursing, Boston College
- 9/2005-8/2007 AHANA Doctorial Fellow, Boston College
- Harris, A. L., Sutherland, M. A., Hutchinson, M. K. (accepted). Parental influences of sexual risk among urban African American adolescent males.. To appear in Journal of Nursing Scholarship.
- Flanagan, J. M., Harris, A. L., Jones, D. A. (2013). "Evaluation of the Advanced Practice Nurse Cost Efficiency, Accomplishments, Trends and Future Development," In Lucille A. Joel (Ed.), Advance Practice Nursing: Essentials for Role Development 3rd edition (3rd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: FA Davis Company.
- Sutherland, M. A., Fantasia, H. C., Fontenot, H. B., Harris, A. L. (2012). Safer sex and partner violence in a sample of women. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 8(9), 717-724.
- Harris, A. L. (2011). A second look: Examining the link between vitamin D deficiency and bacterial vaginosis in pregnancy. Nursing for Women's Health, 15(5), 423-430.
- Fantasia, H., Fontenot, H., Sutherland, M.A., & Harris, A.L. (2011). An Overview of Sexually Transmitted Infections in Women. Nursing for Women's Health, 15(1), 47-59.