Jane M. Flanagan, PhD, ANP-BC
Maloney Hall 353
- Ph.D. - Boston College
- M.S. - Northeastern University
- B.S.N. - University of Massachusetts Lowell
Understanding the human response to acute and chronic illness, transitions across the health care continuum, and the impact of integrative health modalities.
Dr. Jane Flanagan is an associate professor and the program director of the Adult Gerontology Graduate Program. She has appointments as a nurse scientist at the Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH), Yvonne Munn Center and as an associate clinical scientist at the Phyllis Cantor Center at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute. Dr. Flanagan is the Editor for the International Journal of Nursing Knowledge, which is focused on refinement of nursing language and the integration and meaningful use of the electronic health record. She serves as the President for the Society of Rogerian Scholars and on the Board of Directors in the International Association of Human Caring (IAHC). Dr. Flanagan is a certified nurse practitioner and the coordinator of the Nurses Improving Care for Hospitalized Elders (NICHE) program at MGH. Dr. Flanagan was recently awarded a grant from the American Holistic Nurses Association to explore the efficacy of wellness interventions on women with breast cancer and other chronic co morbidities who self identify as caregivers.
SELECTED APPOINTMENTS & AWARDS
- 2015 - KILN Mentor Award, Boston College & Price Foundation
- 2014 - MGH Nursing Research Expo - Best Research Poster Award
- 2014 - Distinguished Nurse Practitioner of the Year Award at the Massachusetts Coalition of Nurse Practitioners
- 2011 - Partners Healthcare Excellence in Action Award from MGH
- 2010 - Research for Practice Writing Award, Med-Surg Nursing
- Flanagan, J. M., Stamp, K. D., Gregas, M., & Shindul-Rothschild, J. (in press). Predictors of 30 day readmission for pneumonia. To appear in Journal of Nursing Administration.
- Flanagan, J. M. (in press). The experience of initiating oral adjuvant treatment for the treatment of estrogen positive breast cancer. To appear in Oncology Nursing Forum.
- Jones, D. A., & Flanagan, J. M. (2015). Researching, mentoring, and developing postdoctoral scholars. In J. I. Erikson, M. Ditomassi, & D. A. Jones (Eds.), Fostering a research-intensive organization: An interdisciplinary approach for nurses from Massachusetts General Hospital (pp. 139-158). Indianapolis, IN: Sigma Theta Tau International.
- Cronin, J., Arnstein, P., & Flanagan, J. M. (2015). Family members’ perceptions of most helpful interventions during end-of-life care. Journal of Hospice and Palliative Nursing, 17(3), 223-228. doi:10.1097/NJH.0000000000000151
- Aracari, P., & Flanagan, J. M. (2015). The development of a mind-body-spirit certification program in nursing. Journal of Holistic Nursing, 33(2), 168-76. Advance online publication. doi:10.1177/0898010114547112