Keynote Session: 8:15 - 9:30 am
northeast regional nurse practitioner conference
THE IMPERATIVE FOR APRN LEADERSHIP IN THE NEW HEALTHCARE WORLD ORDER
Margaret Franckhauser, RN, MS, MPH
The ACA is pushing Advanced Practice Nursing out of the shadows and into the forefront. As a broader, more powerful role in healthcare emerges, advanced practice nurses must step up and take the lead for the future of their practice and of the nation’s health. This session will discuss the emerging opportunities for advanced practice leadership and methods to develop oneself as a leader in the new world order.
1. Describe at least three reasons the US healthcare system requires effective leadership for successful transformation.
2. List at least 5 characteristics associated with effective leadership in a changing environment.
3. Identify at least three leadership styles in healthcare today and describe the advantages and disadvantages of each.
4. Explain why it is critical for APRNs to develop leadership skills at this point in the evolution of healthcare.
5. Identify at least three opportunities for APRN leadership within the healthcare framework.
6. Describe at least three ways an APRN can develop personal leadership skills.