Conference Session G: 1:30 - 2:45 PM
northeast regional nurse practitioner conference
MANAGEMENT OF CHRONIC OBSTRUCTIVE PULMONARY DISEASE*
Martin Black, MD
- Explain causes, epidemiology, diagnosis and prognosis of individuals with COPD.
- Discuss short and long term management strategies.
- Understand pharmacological categories and appropriate choices depending on the particular patient.
During this presentation, we will discuss the acute and chronic management of patients with COPD. Participants will gain knowledge on patient care during an acute exacerbation as well as long term treatment strategies. Pharmacological options will be highlighted.
ASSESSMENT AND MANAGEMENT OF MIGRAINE HEADACHES*
Jorge Almodovar-Suarez, MD
- Review the assessment process of headache including diagnostic testing.
- Differentiate the various types of migraine.
- Discuss management strategies including lifestyle changes and pharmacological management including rescue and
This session will discuss the assessment and management of headaches in adult patients.
MANAGEMENT OF THE UNSTABLE HOSPITALIZED PATIENT
Monica Heon, APRN
- Describe types of patients and conditions likely to decompensate in the acute care setting.
- Explain the steps in determining the problem and intervening appropriately.
Acutely ill patients in the hospital can become unstable quickly. Having a working knowledge of management strategies is essential to Advanced Providers in the acute care setting. This session will discuss scenarios for stabilizing patients.
HEALTHY LIVING: MANAGING OBESITY AND OTHER RISK FACTORS IN CHILDHOOD*
Mark Hofley, MD
- Review the assessment of obesity in children and adolescents.
- Discuss appropriate diagnostic testing for obesity and other risk factors.
- Discuss management strategies for obese children and adolescents including lifestyle and pharmacologic interventions.
This session will discuss the assessment and strategies to manage childhood obesity and the risk factors for chronic illness.
* Approved for Pharmacology Credits