Conference Session C: 2:30 - 3:45 pm
northeast regional nurse practitioner conference
UPDATE IN DIABETES MANAGEMENT*
Patti Duprey, MSN, APRN, CDE
- Describe new technologies in the management of diabetes.
- Differentiate between the newer pharmacologic agents for diabetes.
This session will address the newest innovations in the management of diabetes including new pharmacologic agents.
WHY IS THE DISEASE OF OPIOID ADDICTION ON TRIAL?*
Steven J. Kassels, MD
- Demystify and destigmatize the disease of opiod addiction.
- Define who/what to blame for the current heroin epidemic.
- Review how to screen patients before prescribing opiods.
- Review direct and indirect medical illnesses and costs as a result of opiod addiction.
- Explain benefits of medication replacement therapy to treat opiod dependency.
Opioid abuse and addiction have reached epidemic levels and affects patients/ families in most of our practices. This speaker will discuss the disease of opioid addiction and identify who/what are reasons for the current epidemic. There will be a discussion about proper screening and prescribing of these medications. Treatment of opioid dependency as well as the costs to society will be reviewed.
SEXUAL ASSAULT: REVIEW AND CONSIDERATIONS FOR CARE
Holly B. Fontenot, PhD, RN, WHNP-BC
- Describe correct language and understand the importance of the use of correct language and terms related to sexual violence.
- Understand the scope of the national health problem related to sexual assault.
- Identify screening techniques and protocols for care of the sexual assault patient.
This session will review concepts related to sexual assault as a public health problem. Considerations for nurse practitioners caring for men and women in the primary care settings will be reviewed as well as protocols for referrals to EDs and the role of sexual assault nurse examiners.
PEDIATRIC PSYCHIATRIC DISORDERS & PSYCHOPHARMACOLOGY*
Elisabeth M. Bailey, DNP, RN, PMHCNS-BC
- Review assessment and diagnosis of the mental disorders most commonly encountered in pediatric primary care practice (ADHD, anxiety, depression, autism).
- Review evidence-based treatment approaches to each of these disorders.
- Provide an overview of common challenges associated with complex psychiatric cases and review available resources.
This session will provide an overview of fundamentals of psychiatric care for the pediatric primary care practitioner. Topics will include: diagnostic updates related to disorders most commonly encountered in pediatric primary care (ADHD, anxiety, depression and autism); available screening and assessment tools; evidence-based treatment approaches for these common diagnoses; and challenges associated with complex psychiatric cases with a focus on available resources to support practitioners and families.
* Approved for Pharmacology Credits