Conference Session B: 11:30 - 12:45 pm
northeast regional nurse practitioner conference
CURRENT MANAGEMENT OF PEOPLE WITH HEART FAILURE*
Marilyn Daley, DNP, APRN, CHFN
- Understand the epidemiology, diagnosis and pathophysiology of heart failure.
- Describe current management including symptom recognition, medications, diet, exercise, and device based therapy.
Heart Failure is one of the most common chronic diseases affecting people of all ages and a frequent cause of hospitalizations. This presentation will provide the latest information on management of individuals with heart failure. Pharmacological and nonpharmacological treatments will be discussed.
PHARMACOLOGY TREATMENT OPTIONS IN MENOPAUSE CARE*
Holly B. Buckley, MS, APRN, NCMP
- Review differences in physiology during menopause.
- Discuss pharmacological interventions during menopause.
This session will focus on prescribing practices for women during menopause.
THE ACUTE ABDOMEN: ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS
Alice Gervasini, PhD, RN
- Describe the assessment strategies for the acute abdomen.
- Differentiate the non-surgical abdmonen from the surgical abdomen.
- List the current recommendations for diagnostic tests for patients with acute abdominal pain.
This session will return to the basics of the abdominal assessment from the perspective of an acute surgical abdomen versus a non-surgical abdomen. Recommendations for assessment strategies, diagnostic work-up and plan of care for this patient population will be discussed.
LATEST DEVELOPMENTS IN HPV SCIENCE*
Holly B. Fontenot, PhD, RN, WHNP-BC
- Identify correct national guidelines and recommendations for HPV vaccination for males and females as well as how that impacts HPV screening.
- Describe the multi strain nature of the HPV virus and its causal relationship with cancers in men and women.
- Understand the latest developments and research related to the nine-valent HPV vaccine and the potential for a 2-dose vaccine schedule.
This session will review the latest developments related to our understanding of HPV and the various HPV vaccines. National recommendations for vaccination will be reviewed, as well as barriers and facilitators to uptake of the HPV vaccine for both males and females.
* Approved for Pharmacology Credits