Conference Session A: 10:00 - 11:15 am
northeast regional nurse practitioner conference
BENIGN BREAST CONDITIONS: EVALUATION, TREATMENT AND WHEN TO REFER*
Lisa B. McCabe, MSN, APRN
- Discuss current breast cancer screening recommendations based on individual risk.
- Describe the current breast imaging that is available and indications for each modality.
- Describe the American College of Radiology (ACR) categorization for breast imaging.
- Outline common benign breast conditions to include evaluation, treatment and when to refer.
Recommendations for the breast disease screening is in a state of flux. In this session, the screening recommendations including imaging modalities and disease categorizations will be presented. There will be a discussion of malignant and benign breast conditions to include evaluation, treatment and rationale for referral.
UPDATES IN WOUND MANAGEMENT
Lisa M. Arello, NP
- Contrast differences of acute and chronic wounds.
- Identify wound treatment modalities appropriate for type of wound.
This session will include an overview of the physiology of acute wounds and the pathophysiology of chronic wound healing. Modern and traditional wound treatment modalities will be discussed.
CURRENT STRATEGIES IN THE MANAGEMENT OF TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURIES
Alice Gervasini, PhD, RN
- Describe the pathophysiology of the brain's response to minor and moderate levels of severity.
- List the current recommendations for managing patients with minor to moderate TBI.
- List the current recommendations for diagnostic tests for patients with minor to moderate TBI.
The session will review the mechanism of injury and patterns of trauma that result in minor to moderate traumatic brain nijury. Recommendations for assessment strategies, diagnostic work-up and plan of care for this patient population will be discussed.
BIRTH CONTROL IN THE 21ST CENTURY*
Cynthia deSteuben, MS, CNM, APRN
- Review the indications for various birth control methods.
- Discuss the decision making process in the selection of appropriate methods and strategies to work with the patient to make the right choice.
This session will focus on the latest innovations in birth control and making appropriate decisions in prescribing birth control.
* Approved for Pharmacology Credits