william f. connell school of nursing
Connell School History
In the mid-1940's, the late Richard Cardinal Cushing requested that the University establish a baccalaureate nursing program since no Catholic institution in the Archdiocese of Boston offered such a program. Responding to his request, the University opened the Boston College School of Nursing on January 27, 1947, with 35 registered nurses enrolled for a bachelor of science in nursing or nursing education. The following September, a group of 27 high school graduates enrolled in the baccalaureate program.
In 1958, the master's program was established and offered medical-surgical nursing as a field of concentration. It now offers degrees in advanced practice nursing in seven areas of specialization.
The first students entered the Ph.D. in nursing program in 1988. This was the first nursing doctoral program to be offered at a Jesuit university. It has produced more than 80 graduates who are in various clinical, research, and teaching positions throughout the United States and other countries. An M.S./Ph.D. option was introduced in 2000 for individuals seeking preparation in both advanced practice nursing and clinical research.
The School of Nursing was dedicated in honor of the late Boston-area businessman and philanthropist William F. Connell on September 12, 2003. The school, now named the William F. Connell School of Nursing, was the recipient of a $10 million gift made by Connell shortly before his death from cancer in 2001. Connell was a 1959 graduate of Boston College and served on the University's board of trustees for 24 years.
In summer 2015, after more than five decades in Cushing Hall, the Connell School moved to Maloney Hall, the school’s new home.