What is the application fee?

The application fee is $65. This can be paid online or by submitting a check with your application materials. Please note: the application fee is non-refundable.

Can my application fee be waived?

The application is only waived for applicants currently involved with the following programs. If you are a Boston College Fifth Year/Early Admit Program applicant or are involved in Teach for America, the Jesuit Volunteer Corps, the McNair Scholars Program, or the Institute for the Recruitment of Teachers, we will waive your fee. You will need to send a copy of a letter verifying your involvement in this program along with your request for the waiver to the Director, Graduate Admission and Financial Aid, Domenic Lomanno (

Is a minimum GRE or GPA required?

Applications at the Lynch School are reviewed holistically, taking all elements of your file into consideration. While your previous coursework and standardized test scores will be part of the review, we do not use them as cut-offs. What is the GRE Institutional Code for the Lynch School of Education?

The Code for the Lynch School of Education is 3218.

How do I know if my GRE scores will arrive before the deadline?

It takes approximately 10-15 days to receive test results from ETS so you will want to allow a sufficient amount of time for them to arrive prior to the deadline. You will need to use the Lynch School code (3218) to have your scores sent directly the Lynch School of Education.

How many pages is the statement of purpose?

The personal statement should be between 2-3 pages double spaced.

How many pages is the writing sample?

A writing sample is required for all doctoral applicants.

Counseling Psychology Ph.D: 15 pages

Curriculum and Instruction Ph.D.: No more than 25 pages

Educational Research, Measurement and Evaluation (ERME) Ph.D.: approximately 20 pages

Applied Developmental and Educational Psychology (ADEP) Ph.D.: 15 pages

Higher Education Ph.D.: 25-30 pages

I have been out of school for a number of years and am unable to obtain a second letter of recommendation from a professor; can I submit a letter from my supervisor?

You may supplement your application file with a letter of recommendation from a current supervisor. However, in order to speak to your abilities as a student (which is what the review committee is looking for), it is beneficial to you to provide at least one letter of recommendation from an academic source.

Does my recommender need to submit anything other than a letter of recommendation?

Yes, your recommender should submit the letter of recommendation cover form (which can be downloaded on our website) with his/her letter of recommendation.

I applied to the Lynch School of Education last year but did not get in. If I reapply this year can I reuse my application materials?

You will need to submit new materials. We do not keep materials on file from past years.

May I apply to more than one program at the Lynch School at the same time?

You may apply to more than one program, but you will need to fill out an application form and pay the application fee for each program to which you are applying, along with submitting the appropriate supplemental materials for each. Upon acceptance, you may only enroll in one program.

Can I apply to a doctoral program if I do not already have a Master's degree?

The Ph.D. program in Higher Education, the Ph.D. program in Curriculum and Instruction, and the Ed.D. program in Educational Leadership (PSAP) require applicants to already have a Master's degree. Our other doctoral programs will consider applicants who only possess a bachelor's degree. Additionally, there is an option on our application to have the admissions committee review your application for the corresponding Master's program if you are not selected for admission to our doctoral program.

Can I check the status of my application online?

Yes. After the application form is submitted online expect an e-mail within 48 hours. This e-mail contains a username and password that allows you to pay your application fee and check the status of your application through our student system, Agora.

Back to top

Prospective Student Questions

Can I take classes before I am admitted to a degree program?

Yes. Students can enroll as non-degree students. Although there is no limit to the number of courses a non-degree students may take, no more than four courses (12 credits), if appropriate, may be applied toward a degree program in the Lynch School of Education. Courses taken as a non-degree student may be applied to a degree program only after official acceptance into a degree program and with the consent of the student's faculty advisor.

Are students successful in finding employment immediately after graduation?

Our alumni are very successful in obtaining employment within their areas of interest upon graduation in the Boston area, across the country, and abroad. The Lynch School of Education has a large network of opportunities for our alumni to benefit from both at home and abroad.

What assistance does Boston College offer for job placement?

LSOE has a diverse range of resources available through our strong alumni network, the Lynch School of Education, and our Career Services Office. Many students are offered employment directly through their internships/practicum placements or work with the Lynch School to find opportunities.

Can I meet with an admissions counselor to learn more about Lynch School programs?

Yes, admission counselors are available to meet with students in person or over the phone. Feel free to schedule an appointment by e-mailing:

Can I schedule a campus tour?

Formal campus tours are offered through the undergraduate admissions office, but graduate students are welcome to join.

Is there a graduate student association?

There are a few graduate student associations: Graduate Student Association (GSA) and the Graduate Education Association (GEA). Both organizations are student-run, but the GEA specifically serves all students in the Lynch School of Education. The GEA exists as a resource for all LSOE students and is comprised of three committees: academic, diversity and social. These committees work independently and collaboratively to plan programs and events for LSOE students throughout the year. Many of these events are fun and social, but many are aimed at provided learning opportunities beyond the classroom.

When can I expect to receive a decision about my application?

If we receive your complete application by the deadline, you should receive a decision by mid-March.

Back to top

Accepted Student Questions

Can I take classes within other schools at Boston College for my degree program?

Yes. Students are able to take classes in various departments within Boston College. Please review your program of study with your academic advisor for further instructions.

Can I cross-register while at the Lynch School?

Graduate students in the Lynch School may cross register for one elective course each semester at Boston University, Brandeis University, Hebrew College, Pine Manor College, or Tufts University, if a similar course is not available at Boston College. Students should contact their program directors to review any department-specific rules and regulations. Cross-registration materials are available in Lyons Hall. Courses taken within the Boston-area Consortium during fall or spring semester are not considered transfer courses, since the student registers for these through Boston College. However, all summer courses taken outside of Boston College (including summer courses taken within the Consortium) are considered transfer credits and count towards the 6 credit limit for transfer credits.

Can I take a course at another school and transfer the credit into my degree program?

Only courses in which a student has received a grade of B or better, and have not been applied to a prior degree, will be accepted. If approved, the transfer course and credit, but not the grade, will be recorded on the student's academic record. Credit received for courses completed more than ten years prior to a student's admission to his or her current degree program are not acceptable for transfer.

Can I transfer classes from a previous degree into the Lynch School?

No. Any classes previously taken that count towards an already obtained degree cannot be applied to a Lynch School program.

Who is my academic advisor?

Following acceptance into the Lynch School, students are assigned an academic advisor (assigned shortly after a student confirms his/her attendence). Students should meet with them at their earliest opportunity. The advisor will assist in the initial design and, if necessary, later modification of your Program of Study.

What classes do I need to take for my program?

The Program of Study is a guide for choosing classes within your study area. Please visit this link for individualized plans.

How do I register for classes?

Students can register for classes online via the Agora Portal, using their BC Username and password. Students can also register by phone at 617.552.8800 (seven days a week during registration period). If you are trying to gain access to a course that requires permission or is closed or restricted, you should contact the Department Office in which the course is offered.

Where can I view course offerings?

All graduate course offerings within all schools here at Boston College can be viewed online.

How many units is full time status?

In the Lynch School of Education, all students enrolled in 9 or more credits per semester (6 or more credits in summer) are considered full-time. Graduate students registered for less than a full-time course load may be considered full-time if they are Graduate Assistants for academic departments, Teaching Fellows, or Research Assistants. Graduate students are considered full-time if they are enrolled in a full-time Student Teaching Practicum or Internship. In addition, students registered for Interim Study or Thesis Direction also are considered full-time.

When does school start?

For all important school dates, please consult the Academic Calendar.

Is there housing for graduate students?

Off-campus housing is available for graduate students, as well as apartment search assistance. The graduate housing website offers further information.

Back to top

Financial Aid Questions

How much will tuition cost?

Tuition for graduate students is calculated per credit. Your tuition will depend on the number of courses you take. For the 2014-2015 Academic Year, the rate per credit for the Lynch School of Education is $1,260. Most courses are three credits, so one 3-credit course costs $3,780.

How do I apply for financial aid?

Federal financial aid, including loans and work-study, is handled centrally at the University through the Office of Student Services. In order to apply, you need to file 2 forms: the FAFSA and the BC Graduate Student Financial Aid Form. More information on federal financial aid is available online. A complete admissions application usually qualifies you for consideration for any scholarships or special awards. If you are the recipient of a scholarship or award, you will be notified by letter or email from the director of graduate admission and financial aid.

Are assistantships available to master’s students?

Yes, many assistantships--both on and off campus--are available to master’s students. These positions are usually very competitive and involve an additional application/interview process. In an attempt to help Lynch School students secure these positions, we compile a list of available positions for incoming students in mid-March/early April. The Office of Graduate Student Life also compiles a list of positions that is posted for all graduate students at the University.

How do I view my federal financial aid package?

Financial award information can be viewed through our student system, Agora. Students receive a username and password after applying to the Lynch School.

When will I be able to see my financial aid package?

Financial aid packages are not assembled until both the FAFSA and Boston College Graduate Student Financial Aid Form have been successfully completed and submitted to University Student Services. If these documents have been received, students should expect to receive notice of their federal financial aid packages shortly after acceptance. Students will be able to view their awards before accepting admission. If you have received a scholarship from the Lynch School, it is typically included with your admission letter.

Back to top