Skip to main content

Secondary navigation:

Lynch School of Education

Federal Aid

opportunities for loans and work-study

You should submit your application for federal financial aid as soon as possible.  You do not have to wait to be admitted to a degree program to apply for federal financial aid.

Federal need-based funding for graduate students can include:

  • Federal Perkins Loans
  • Federal Stafford Loans
  • Federal Work-Study

Students who wish to be considered for aid from one or more of the above sources must complete and file the following documents with the Office of Student Services in Lyons Hall:

  1. Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) The FAFSA should be mailed to the federal processor as soon as possible, as it normally takes 4 to 6 weeks for Boston College to receive the processed copy. If you have not yet completed your tax returns, you may estimate the information. The Boston College code is 002128. As a result of filing the FAFSA you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). Review your SAR carefully.
  2. Boston College Graduate Financial Aid Application
    This form should be completed and returned to the Office of Student Services.

The above forms generally become available in December and can be requested by contacting the Office of Student Services, by phone: (800) 294-0294 or e-mail: Upon receipt of these documents, plus the Graduate School's notification of the applicant's acceptance, the Office of Student Services will review the application and create an award letter for the student indicating the aid for which he/she is eligible.  Federal financial aid award letters are available electronically by the beginning of April each year.

The total financial aid awarded to you cannot exceed your total calculated federal eligibility.  If your total financial aid resources, including assistantships, fellowships, grants, scholarships, stipends, and tuition remissions (but excluding alternative loans), exceeds your total calculated federal eligibility, an adjustment to need-based financial assistance is required.  Depending on the timing of the notification from your academic department, it is possible that adjustments to your award will be made anytime after the start of the academic year.  These adjustments may necessitate the repayment of loan funds that have already been disbursed to you.


Federal need-based financial aid is handled centrally at Boston College through the Office of University Student Services