Steps to Completing a Pre-Practicum Abroad
lynch school of education
NOTE: Students may complete a pre-practicum ANYWHERE in the world, even if the university does not have a School of Education, or if student is on an external program!
- Research different study abroad programs through the Office of International Programs (OIP) located in the Hovey House. Students should attend all necessary meetings and information sessions through OIP.
- Attend international student teaching events. Students should respond to advertisements regarding dinners and information sessions throughout the year.
- Students are required to meet with Maureen Raymond to discuss how study abroad plans will fit into their academic program. Students will also discuss their interest in participating in a pre-practicum experience abroad.
- Meet with the Practicum International Coordinator in Campion 103 to discuss the details of the international pre-practicum program. Make an appointment by sending an email to International.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students should complete and submit their pre-practicum application to the Office of Practicum Experiences. A complete application includes:
*a completed international pre-practicum application form (available online at https://htmldbprod.bc.edu/pracapply)
*a check for $200, made payable to Boston College (this program payment fee is non-refundable, but will not be cashed until students are officially accepted into their program
*a letter of recommendation from a former pre-practicum supervisor or cooperating teacher
- Attend the Departure Breakfast for International Pre-Practicum students the semester before students leave for abroad. Students will receive their instructions in this session and will have all of their questions answered.
- If the Lynch School does not already have a partnership school, students may contact potential pre-practicum settings and prospective university supervisors aboard. Students should do this via email, letters, and/or phone call, the semester before they plan to leave.
- Students should complete requirements at their international school site and follow up with the practicum office international coordinator. Follow the International BC syllabus developed by the Office of Practicum Experiences.