Skip to main content

Secondary navigation:

Lynch School of Education


master's of higher education administration

About the Program
Admission Requirements
Admission Process
Transfer Credits
Cost of Attendance and Financial Aid 
Assistantships and Field Experience
Job Placement
Community Activities and Organizations





About the Program

Q: How may I obtain more information about the Higher Education program?
A: For information on our program please visit the department website: /schools/lsoe/academics/departments/eahe.html.  If you have any additional questions, please contact the Higher Education Department at

Q: What makes the Higher Education program at BC unique?
A: The program has three distinct Higher Education concentrations, Administration, Student Affairs and Catholic University Leadership.  The Student Affairs Concentration prepares students to work as student affairs professionals by helping them gain an understanding of the foundations of higher education and student affairs, along with the knowledge, skills, and experience to link theory and practice. The Administration Concentration is focused on law, policy, and administration and prepares students to work as professionals in colleges and universities as well as policy and advocacy organizations. The Catholic University Leadership Concentration is designed to foster an understanding of higher education administration within Catholic colleges and universities.  Each concentration requires a year-long Field Experience which links theory and practice. Also, the Social Justice mission of Boston College sets the school apart from many competing colleges and universities. 

Q: How long does it take to complete the program?
A: The majority of students complete the program in two years.  By choosing the two year route, students have a foundation year and a second year to sharpen their knowledge of a certain aspect within higher education and apply the skills in their field experience placement. The program can be completed in one academic year and a summer however, due to intense nature of the program and the lack of opportunity to gain field experience, this is NOT recommended for those students coming directly from an undergraduate degree program.  We have found that students coming directly from an undergraduate degree program are more successful in their job search after graduation if they have two years of graduate student field experience to go along with their degree-particularly those students who will enroll in the Student Affairs Concentration.

Q: Is there a capstone to the program?
A: Students are required to take comprehensive exams that test their knowledge of the core curriculum.  Comprehensive exams are written over one weekend during the fall or spring semester after students have completed their foundation and core requirements.

Q: Can I take courses outside the Lynch School of Education?
A: Students can take their non-Higher Education electives outside of the Education School.  Past examples have included courses in the Carroll School of Management, Graduate School of Social Work and School of Theology and Ministry.  If you cannot find a class on the Boston College campus, you have the opportunity to take a class at other institutions through the Boston Higher Education Consortium (


Q: If I cannot attend one of the Open Houses, may I schedule an individual visit?
A: We do not require interviews for admission to the program.  Many students visit classes while in session and speak with current students on campus.  Program faculty can also respond to your questions through email. 

Q: Why should I move to Boston for this program?
A: The greater Boston area is home to over 50 colleges and universities, so it makes Boston a great place to begin or further a career in Higher Education.  Our students have field experience placements all over the area, so students are able to gain experience at multiples types of institutions during their time at the institution. In your time away from school and work, Boston is a great city to explore. There is a rich cultural history and a vibrant young professional population. From the historical trails like the freedom trail, to great sports teams like the Celtics, Boston has something for everybody.

Admission Requirements

Q: What are the admission requirements?
A: For admission to the Higher Education program, applicants must:

  •  Hold a baccalaureate degree;
  • Submit an application for admission;
  • Submit official transcripts from all previous undergraduate and graduate work;
  • Submit official score reports (less than 5 years old) for the GRE;
  •  Submit two letters of recommendation;
  • Submit a resume;
  • Submit a personal statement, which should include your intended concentration: Student Affairs, Higher Education Administration, or Catholic University Leadership

Q: What are the median grades and GRE scores for incoming students?
A: We use the holistic approach when evaluating candidates for our program.  GPA and GRE scores are only a part of the application.

Q:  What is the application deadline?
A: December 1 (priority).

Q: Do you admit students for the spring semester?
A: The Higher Education program does not admit students in the middle of the year.  All accepted students have the option of starting during summer session or before the fall semester.

Admission Process

Q: How do I check the status of my application?
A: To check the status of your application, log on to the Agora Portal at:  You will need your assigned BC username and ID number to log on.  If you did not receive these credentials, you can contact the Office of Graduate Admission at

Q: I know the application may be submitted online.  Can the other pieces of my application be submitted electronically as well? 
A: The application may be submitted online:

For applicants using FedEx or UPS, please use this address:

Boston College, Lynch School of Education
Office of Graduate Admission
Campion Hall 135
140 Commonwealth Avenue
Chestnut Hill, MA  02467

Q: Does having experience (post-undergrad) working in higher education increase my chances of being accepted into the program?
A: Having previous work experience in a higher education setting will enhance your application, but is not required.

Transfer Credits

Q: Do you accept transfer credits from other graduate programs?
A: Students can transfer up to six credits (two graduate courses) that were not counted towards another graduate degree.  Or, for those who have taken Lynch School courses as a “Special Student” you may transfer up to four courses.  However, faculty advisors must approve all transfer credits after the student is enrolled.

Cost of Attendance and Financial Aid

Q: How much are tuition and fees?
A: Each year the University sets a rate per credit for graduate courses in the Lynch School of Education.  For the current 2015-16 school year, each credit is $1,310 and most graduate courses are 3 credits.

Q: What kind of financial assistance, if any, is available?

A: The Boston area is the perfect place for Higher Education therefore most of our students receive some sort of tuition help.  Students can receive institutional grants, federal loans, and many of our students get assistantships either on or off campus.  Assistantships range in position type and compensation.  Depending on the position, some assistantships include stipends, tuition remission, housing, board, or a combination of the above financial help.  Please contact the Office of Graduate Admissions with questions about financial aid (

Assistantships and Field Experience

What is the difference between an assistantship and the field experience?
A: A field experience carries credits toward graduation and must last one academic year with a minimum of 10 hours per week.  It is meant to be a position directly related to your field of interest within higher education.  Some come with compensation, others do not.  An assistantship is non-credit position usually to aid the financial burden on the student.  Students with full assistantships (20 hours) can choose to add an additional project in their current employment. 

Q: May I apply for an assistantship or other opportunities to gain related work experience and to subsidize the cost of my education?
A: Assistantships and other opportunities are highly recommended by our faculty.  They allow students to apply their classroom instruction into the workplace. 

Q: Is an assistantship or field experience placement required during my program of study?
A: Students with less than 3 years of full-time professional work experience in Higher Education are required to take the Field Experience course which is centered on enhancing the application of your classroom studies.  Students spend 10-12 hours a week in their field experience placement for an entire academic year while taking the two-semester course.

Q: How are students selected for their field experience placements?

A: Students interview as early as March for certain positions and hiring continues through late September for many of the positions.  Students can check the Higher Ed Field Experience webpage (/schools/lsoe/academics/departments/eahe/graduate/hea/internships.html), Boston College Graduate Student Center (/gsc) or the Lynch School Graduate Student Services Office (/schools/lsoe/gradadmission/funding.html) for up-to-date position postings


Q: May graduate students live on campus?
A: BC Graduate housing is available, but not on campus.  Housing options are within a mile of the campus, just a short BC Shuttle away from campus.  The Shuttle is free and runs every 15 minutes during the academic year.

Q: What is the best way to locate off-campus housing?
A: The Graduate Student Services website has plenty of helpful links: /gsc.  Another option is to ask people during the Accepted Students Day if any of them are looking for roommates.

Job Placement

Q: In what types of jobs are alumni from the program currently working?
A: BC Higher Education Alumnae are working in a variety of careers including residential life, student programming, admissions, institutional research, higher education policy centers, higher education professional organizations, college access programs, high school college counselors, and many more.

Q: May I work full-time while enrolled in the masters program?
A: Some students choose to work full-time during their program and take 1 or 2 courses per semester.  There is a five year window that you have to complete the program. 

Community Activities and Organizations

Q: Is there a support system for graduate students?
A: The GEA (Graduate Education Association) and GSC (Boston College Graduate Student Services) are both here to serve you during graduate studies.  The GEA hosts workshops, social mixers, and gives some funding for students interested in attending or presenting at conferences.  You can find more information on their website: /gea.