lynch school of education
This course is a guided practicum experience for students enrolled in the higher education program. The field experience requires supervised field work at a higher education institution or agency and participation in a regularly scheduled internship seminar. Field work is overseen by program faculty and supervised by a professional administrator at the internship site. The seminar covers professional skills development and related field work issues to theory and research in higher education. A strong emphasis will be placed on class participation and sharing internship experiences with fellow classmates.
- A full year course. Students must register for ED976 (2 credits) in the fall and ED977 (1 credit) in the spring semester.
- Students must work a minimum of 10-12 hours per week.
- The student should engage in a special project or activity related to the area of assignment.
- Students must fill out a registration form to enroll in Field Experience for the Fall 2012 semester prior to the start of the semester.
- Students must also sign the Field Experience Agreement form (in conjunction with their supervisor), submitted to the instructor of the course by the first day of classes for the fall semester.
- Develop a thorough understanding of a functional area of higher education administration.
- Explore the relationship of administrative practice to the theory and research literature of higher education.
- Strengthen professional skills.
- Develop an understanding of current issues and challenges in administrative practice. Become a reflective practitioner.
Waiving Field Experience:
Students can waive Field Experience (and take a 3-credit elective in its place) IF:
1. They have 3 years of FULL-TIME PROFESSIONAL HIGHER EDUCATION EXPERIENCE (e.g., not as an administrative assistant) coming into the program.
2. Are working as a FULL-TIME PROFESSIONAL IN HIGHER EDUCATION during the course of the program and will have 3 years of experience by the time they graduate.
3. Are a joint degree candidate and completed a Semester of Practice (LAW) or Internship (MBA) at an institution of higher education.
This page links to PDF files. Use this link to download Adobe Reader if needed.