Skip to main content

Visitors, Transfers, and Leave of Absence

dean for students

Any student contemplating a change in status such as a leave of absence, transfer or visiting away must meet with the Dean for Student's Office (room M308 Stuart) to discuss such a change.

Boston College Law School students may be allowed to visit away at another ABA approved Law School during either their second and or third year of their Boston College Law School program, provided that they have: 1. received prior approval from the Boston College Law School Dean for Students; and 2. applied and been accepted at the law school they wish to attend. Permission will be granted to visit away ONLY for reasons of serious and unforseen hardship, including but not limited to medical emergency, unexpected relocation of a family member or life partner, or financial catastrophe.

Credit for classes taken at the other law school will be applied towards the student's Boston College Law School degree. Grades received will not be reflected on the Boston College Law School transcript; and the grades at the host institution will not be factored into the Boston College Law School student's grade point average for any purpose.

To obtain a Boston College Law School degree students must be in residence full time at Boston College Law School for four semesters. Thus, students who transfer to Boston College Law School after their first full year at another institution are not eligible to visit away during any part of the last two years of their law school program.

Students who visit away at another institution pay the tuition of the host institution, not Boston College Law School's tuition, for the semester or semesters enrolled. However, an administrative fee of $750 per semester will be assessed for any student who visits away at another law school. The Boston College Law School fee is intended to cover the administrative costs associated with services provided by Boston College Law School for its students while studying at another institution, such as financial aid and student service counseling, degree audits and transcript preparation, and commencement activities.

While studying at another U.S. law school, you may be eligible to receive federal financial aid to use toward payment of your program expenses.  Federal regulations require that your “home” institution—the institution granting your degree—award and process your financial aid.  As your home institution, Boston College Law School requires a Consortium Agreement, as well as completion of all financial aid application requirements, in order to determine your eligibility for financial aid.  Please note that only federal aid—including Federal Direct Stafford Loans, Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loans, and Federal Perkins Loans—may be used for payment of another school’s expenses.   Boston College Law School aid—including scholarships, grants, and BC Law School Loans—will not be awarded for any semester during which you are enrolled at another school.

This page links to PDF files. Use this link to download Adobe Reader if needed.