Exams on Computer
office of academic services
Boston College Law School offers students the option of taking examinations on personal computers with the support of ExamSoft Worldwide. ExamSoft's program, SofTest, will allow exam takers, familiar with WordPerfect or Microsoft Word, to utilize their computers as a "secured" word processor. The program is secure because it blocks access to Internet use and any stored files during the exam administration. This program automatically creates a back-up copy of the exam, and also prevents users from taking any information about the exam out of the exam room either during or at the end of the exam.
Minimum specifications for using SofTest in the 2012-2013 academic year:
SofTest can be used on virtually any modern computer (i.e. purchased within the last 3-4 years). Specific system requirements are noted below.
It is not possible to take secure exams through a virtual operating system such as Microsoft's Virtual Machine, Parallels or VMware, VMware Fusion or any other virtual operating system environment. Although SofTest can be installed and registered on virtual platforms, it will only be enabled for non-secure Practice Exams.
- CPU = 1 GHz Pentium III or Industry Equivalent
- RAM = 1 GB
- Drives = 50 MB of free space
- Operating System = English 32-bit Versions of Windows XP, 32-bit and 64-bit Versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7. SofTest may not be used in virtual operating systems.
- Software = Internet Explorer 7.0 or later. Internet connection for SofTest Installation, Exam Download and Upload
- Screen Resolution must be 1024x768 or higher
- Administrator level account permissions
A native Mac version of SofTest is now available. When you attempt to download SofTest, the native Mac version will appear, if it is available to you. In order to use SofTest on your Apple Macbook or Macbook Pro natively, you must have:
- CPU = Intel processor
- RAM = 512 MB
- Drives = 50 MB or higher free disk space
- Operating System = MAC OS X 10.5.8 or 10.6 (Leopard or Snow Leopard) or Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion). SofTest may not be used in virtual operating systems.
- Software = Internet browser. Internet connection for SofTest Installation, Exam Download and Upload
- Administrator level account permissions (Instructions)
Note to Returning Students: All students must download the new software if they intend to use SofTest for the 2012-2013 academic year. This process must be repeated every year.
Please click here to register for ExamSoft http://www.examsoft.com/bclaw.