Using Rare Materials - Policies and Forms
daniel r. coquillette rare book room - boston college law library
Rules for Readers
The following rules govern the use of rare books and special collections in the Daniel R. Coquillette Rare Book Room.
1. Persons wishing to use rare materials must provide 24 hours notice.
2. Items will be retrieved between the hours of 9 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. The Rare Book Room is open Monday - Friday 9 to 5, except on summer Fridays when it closes at 1 p.m.
3. All readers must complete a Registration Form.
4. A maximum of 4 items may be checked out at one time.
5. Rare materials may be used only in the Rare Book Room, in the presence of a library staff member. Readers must return all materials to the staff member whenever the reader leaves the room.
6. Please deposit coats, backpacks, briefcases, and other bulky items behind the law library’s Information Desk. Items brought into the Rare Book Room are subject to search before and after using rare items. The university is not responsible for lost or stolen personal belongings.
7. No food or drink is allowed in the Rare Book Room.
8. Notetaking is allowed on laptop computers (preferred) or with pencil only.
9. Please handle rare materials with care:
Open covers with care and turn pages slowly. Never force open a rare book.
Keep pens and white-out away from books. Do not write in rare books.
Do not write upon, lean upon, or stack rare books.
Acid-free bookmarks will be provided upon request; do not use paper clips, sticky notes, or any other object as a bookmark.
10. Library staff will photocopy rare materials unless the materials are too fragile to withstand copying. A library staff member will decide which materials may be photocopied. A maximum of 30 total exposures per book is allowed. Cost is 25 cents per page. Turnaround time is 24 hours.
11. The library makes no representation that it is the owner of common law copyright or literary property in any unpublished manuscript. Written permission to publish must be obtained from the copyright owner. Readers assume full and sole responsibility for any and all legal action resulting from their use of the material. By signing this form, readers agree to indemnify and hold harmless Boston College, its officers, employees, and agents from and against all claims made by any person asserting that he/she is an owner of the common law copyright or literary property.
12. Proper credit shall be given in citations and shall read:
Boston College Law Library, Daniel R. Coquillette Rare Book Room
I have read and understand these Rules for Readers, and agree to abide by them.
Print Name: ________________________________
Staff Initials: ____________
(Distribution: One copy to Reader, one copy for Library.) 1/01