Skip to main content

Cabinet X

a rare book exhibit

cabinetIn Cabinet X are photographs of the many homes of the law school. The 1929 Law School bulletin describing the school, faculty, academic calendar and program of instruction is also included. From 1929 - 1937 the Boston College Law School was located in downtown Boston in the Lawyers Building at 11 Beacon Street. The Law School initially occupied five rooms on the third floor of the building. The Law Library consisted of one room with 2000 volumes taken from the University Library collection. B.C. Law students would frequently study at the nearby Suffolk University Law Library.

The Law School moved to the New England Power Building at 441 Stuart Street in August, 1937 and remained at that location until 1945. It occupied the entire second floor of the building. By 1937 the library’s collection had grown to 10,000 volumes, the requisite number required for admission to the Association of American Law Schools (AALS). Two years later the collection reached 20,000 volumes after Mary Carroll, widow of Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Justice, James B. Carroll, donated her husband’s 2,000 volume private library to Boston College Law School.

Next Slide