Who We Are
About the Center
The National Resource Center for Participant-Directed Services (NRCPDS) assists states, agencies and organizations in offering participant-directed services to people with disabilities. We are the only national resource that performs this function.
Many people with disabilities can benefit from participant-directed (also known as consumer-directed or self-directed) services. These services promote independence by helping participants decide for themselves what mix of personal-assistance supports and services best fits their needs.
At the NRCPDS, our mission is to infuse participant-directed options in all home and community-based services. We provide national leadership, technical assistance, training, education and research that improve the lives of people of all ages with disabilities.
The NRCPDS has a National Advisory Committee composed of leaders in our field. View our NAC membership.
View the NRCPDS Overview Video
Our Goal: Lasting Change
The NRCPDS effects lasting change by:
- Delivering sophisticated technical assistance to both Medicaid and non-Medicaid funded programs
- Offering the best trainings, toolkits and educational opportunities for programs to build quality participant-directed options in every state
- Coordinating our research and policy efforts to spark the expansion of quality participant-directed programs
Housed at the Boston College Graduate School of Social Work, the NRCPDS builds on lessons learned as the national program office for the Cash & Counseling grant program. Through this program, we have helped introduce participant-directed programs into 15 state Medicaid programs.
- Sponsors Many friends over the years have supported the NRCPDS and thus the development and growth of participant direction throughout the country.
- Success Stories People with disabilities and their caregivers have experienced great success with participant-directed programs across the country. We've compiled a few of their stories.
- Staff Profiles Our staff includes more than 20 professionals dedicated to the success of participant-directed programs nationwide.