- Application Form: Submit the electronic application form. Please note that the application system requires you to upload your personal statement, unofficial transcript(s) and resume prior to submission.
- Resume: Please upload your most recent resume.
- Three References: We require three letters of recommendation, which must be submitted electronically.
Note: It is your responsibility to notify your references that they will be receiving an email with an electronic recommendation form and follow up with them to make sure they are submitted. If for some reason any of your recommenders are unable to complete an electronic reference form, please contact the Admissions Office for instructions.
- When you register your recommenders in the application system, they will immediately receive an email with the link to the electronic reference form, so you should contact your references before registering them.
- You can log back into your application to check which letters have been received and send reminder emails.
- References should know you well enough to evaluate your potential in the field of social work. If you've worked in a social service agency, one reference should be your most recent employer or supervisor. If you are currently or were recently a student, one reference should be a faculty advisor or instructor. General references on file in college placement offices are usually not adequate for the purposes of this application.
- Personal Statement: A personal statement must be uploaded before submitting the application form. You must submit an essay no longer than five double-spaced pages, addressing:
- What led to your choice of social work; personal growth stemming from your family, community, and educational background; instances of you giving and receiving help; other careers you considered; and relevance of current and/or past work experience to your choice of a major field.
- What you expect to gain from your professional education; reasons you chose Boston College; and your goals or plans in your service choice of Clinical or Macro specialized practice.
- How you plan to address work and other responsibilities during your course of study; how you will finance your education; and how you will do these things in addition to course and field work.
- Transcripts: University/college transcripts from ALL undergraduate and, if applicable, graduate schools attended are required for application review. Unofficial transcripts may be submitted through the online application form for review purposes only. Official copies of all transcripts reviewed for admission must be submitted upon acceptance/matriculation no later than July 1.
Official transcripts may be sent electronically or in hard copy. Hard copy official transcripts must be in signed/sealed envelopes from each institution. Electronic transcripts submitted via document management services such as Scrip-Safe may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. All documents in languages other than English, should include a certified English translation in addition to the original language document.
Accepted applicants may send official transcripts to:
Boston College School of Social Work
McGuinn Hall, Admissions 221
140 Commonwealth Ave.
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
- TOEFL: Students who speak a language other than English as their native language must provide evidence of proficiency. A minimum score of 100 on the iBT (internet-based test) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required. The BCSSW School Code is 5939 and the BCSSW Department Code is 95. The IELTS Academic test may be substituted with a score of 7.5 or higher. Official IELTS score reports should be mailed to the address below. For exceptions and more information for international applicants, visit the International Applicants page. No other standardized tests are required for admission.
- Application Fee: The $40 application fee can be paid online by credit card at the time of submission of the application form, or at a later time through the Application Status website. You may also mail a check or money order payable to "Boston College" to the address below. The application fee is not refundable. If you are a U.S. military veteran or a full-time volunteer with a recognized non-profit service organization such as the Peace Corps, Jesuit Volunteer Corps, City Year, or AmeriCorps, you are qualified to receive an application fee waiver. Simply submit a form or letter certifying your dates of service, or one of your required recommendation letters on organization letterhead and then call or email the Admissions office to request the fee waiver. Returned volunteers are also eligible for a fee waiver. If you have paid the fee prior to submitting a request for a fee waiver, the fee is not refundable.
- Application Status: After you have submitted the electronic application, you can check the status of your application on the Application Status website.
NOTE: The BCSSW application is self-managed, and you will not be contacted if your application is missing materials.
For all checks, money orders and deliveries via courier (e.g. FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.):
School of Social Work
McGuinn Hall, Room 221
140 Commonwealth Avenue
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467