Skip to main content
Boston College School of Social Work
Issues + Evidence

Ruth McRoy, Donahue/DiFelice Endowed Professor of Social Work

An Inclusive Perspective

Ruth McRoy, Donahue/DiFelice Endowed Professor of Social Work, is recognized for her groundbreaking and innovative research in the areas of child welfare, adoption, and diversity. More about An Inclusive Perspective »

Professor Margaret Lombe

From Research to Outreach

For renowned scholar and School of Social Work Professor Margaret Lombe, social work research is only as good as the lives it saves.  More about From Research to Outreach »

More Features »


Advanced Standing & Transfer Students

Advanced Standing

To be granted Advanced Standing, you must have finished an undergraduate program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education within five years of enrollment to our program. Preference will be given to students with GPAs of at least 3.3 during the final two years of Bachelor's of Social Work (BSW) study. Of your three letters of recommendation, one should be from your BSW program director or faculty advisor recommending readiness for Advanced Standing and one should be from your undergraduate field supervisor or current social work supervisor.

Advanced Standing waivers will be considered for the equivalent of Boston College School of Social Work courses SCWK 7701, 7721, 7723, 7747, 7762, 8800, and 9921. Please see course descriptions for details. Most Advanced Standing students begin in June or January in order to complete one semester before entering the final year of the program. June entrants complete the program in one calendar year and January entrants in 16 months. June entry is limited to Clinical majors who concentrate in Health & Mental Health; Children, Youth & Families; or Older Adults & Families. All Macro practice students enroll in January. Students who plan to do the Global Practice concentration (Clinical or Macro) also enroll in January. Any Clinical major may also begin the program in January instead of June.

Transfer Students

If you have completed course or fieldwork credits in an accredited MSW program, you may receive up to 32 transfer credits. Applicants may request transfer of not more than 6 non-MSW graduate credits taken prior to admission. Only courses with grades of B or higher that were not applied to a prior degree will be accepted. Credit for courses completed five years prior to admission to a current degree program are not acceptable for transfer. Requests for transfer credit must be made prior to program enrollment.

Doctoral students may request up to 6 graduate credits that have not been applied to a prior degree.

Go to Curriculum Plans »