Skip to main content
Boston College School of Social Work
Banner of five students

Boston College
School of Social Work
BCSSW Admissions
McGuinn Hall 221
140 Commonwealth Avenue
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
Phone: 617-552-4024

Frequently Asked Questions

General Information

Contact the BCSSW Admissions Office at or 617-552-4024 to arrange to meet with an admissions representative. It may also be possible to speak with a current BC Social Work student or visit a class, with advance notice.

The Office of Undergraduate Admission offers campus tours.

A number of information sessions for prospective students are offered during the academic year. They provide a valuable opportunity to talk with faculty, students, and admissions representatives.


Review of completed applications will begin in January and notification (by mail) of decisions will begin in late January/early February. Decisions are typically made within three to six weeks of submission of all required documents, once our review process begins in January.

The evaluation of your application will include an assessment of academic performance and preparation, related experience, career objectives, potential for leadership, and commitment to social justice.

Please mail any additional application material to:

Boston College School of Social Work
Admissions Processing Center
P.O. Box 67405
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467

After you have submitted an application form, you should receive an email from Boston College containing a username, password, and Eagle ID to log into the Agora Portal. Through Agora Portal you can check the status of your application by clicking on the Applicant Status link. You can also access the Application Status website directly using your Boston College Eagle ID and birth date.

If you have not received a username and password, or if you have other questions related to your application status, please contact the BCSSW Admissions Office at or 617-552-4024.

Accepted applicants may defer enrollment for one year by submitting the $200 tuition deposit and response form.

The GRE is not required for the MSW program but may be submitted to strengthen your application. The GRE is required for the PhD and MSW/PhD programs but there is no minimum score. Each case is evaluated on an individual basis. The BCSSW School Code is 3219 and BCSSW Department Code is 5199.

You are considered an active applicant once you have submitted your application. Delays in completion of the application will result in later review, however, and could put you at a disadvantage for available spaces.

There is no need to request an application extension, but late application submissions are given a lower priority due to limited space.

Application materials should be sent either in one envelope or separately to the following address:

Boston College School of Social Work
Admissions Processing Center
P.O. Box 67405
Chestnut Hill, MA  02467


It depends on your program. Please see Curriculum Plans for details.

Advanced standing students who enroll in June 2016 will graduate in May 2017.  January 2017 entrants will graduate in May 2018.

Advanced standing students have a 240-hour spring or summer placement followed by a 720-hour advanced concentration placement during the final academic year.

A student may cross-register for one social work-related elective per semester in another graduate school or department at Boston College (e.g., Lynch School of Education, Carroll School of Management, School of Theology and Ministry, Sociology Department, Psychology Department). Students may also take electives during the academic year at Boston University, Tufts University, and Brandeis University through the Boston Area Graduate Consortium.

MSW Advanced Standing students may apply for the Global Practice concentration by taking a 16-month Advanced Standing curriculum which begins with January enrollment. After completing the Spring term Advanced Standing curriculum, students take the Global Practice concentration final year curriculum, beginning with summer term.

See the Advanced Standing and Global Practice Curriculum Plans for details.


Student Life

The Office of Residential Life offers information about off-campus housing.