Skip to main content

Secondary navigation:

Carroll School of Management

Academic Policies and Forms


For more academic policy information, visit University Academic Policies and Procedures.

Requirement for Good Standing

Starting with the class of 2016, students must complete 120 credits to earn the bachelor's degree. To continue enrollment in a full-time program of study, a student must maintain a cumulative average of at least 1.5 as the minimum standard of scholarship and must not fall more than six credits behind the total number of credits a student of their status is expected to have completed (15 credits each semester freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior year).

Any student who is permitted by the dean to continue enrollment in a full-time undergraduate program is considered to be in good standing.

Academic Dismissal

At the end of each semester, students who do not meet the academic standards of the Carroll School of Management are dismissed. Possible grounds for academic dismissal include the following:

  • Passing fewer than three courses (or 9 credits) in a semester
  • Passing fewer than eight courses (or 24 credits) in an academic year (except senior year)
  • Passing fewer than 18 courses (or 54 credits) by the end of sophomore year
  • Passing fewer than 28 courses (or 84 credits) by the end of junior year
  • A cumulative grade point average of below 1.5
  • Students with any combination of 7 withdrawals and/or failures may be permanently dismissed

External Courses

Courses from institutions other than Boston College may be applied to a degree program only with permission of the Associate Dean. Examples include official cross-registration programs, the Foreign Study program, certain special study programs at other universities, courses in the Woods College, and summer school courses. Courses that are used to fulfill specific requirements in the University Core, Management Core, and Concentration must also be approved by the Chairperson of the relevant department, as must all courses taken through the Woods College and Summer School. Courses not available at Boston College may be taken at certain other local universities with the permission of the Associate Dean.

A student must earn a grade of C- or better to receive credit for any course taken at another university. In some instances, the Associate Dean may stipulate a higher grade. After the course has been completed, the student should request that the Registrar at the host university forward an official transcript to the Registrar's Office at Boston College.

Summer Courses

See the Undergraduate Catalog for information on summer classes.

Final Examinations

The final examination schedule for most courses is set before classes begin. Exam times are a function of class times (e.g. all MWF at 10 classes share a standard exam time). Courses with multiple sections may have common departmental final examinations at a date and time determined by the Registrar's Office. Students with three final examinations scheduled for the same day are entitled to take a makeup exam at a later date during exam week. If one of the three exams is a common departmental exam, this is the exam that is taken at the later date. Before arranging for departure from campus, students should consult the exam schedule.

Pass / Fail

University Core and Carroll School of Management courses may not be taken by any student on a Pass/Fail basis. The only courses that are acceptable for Pass/Fail are non-required electives taken in the Morrissey College of Arts and Sciences, Lynch School of Education, or Connell School of Nursing. Carroll School of Management students must receive the written permission of the instructor and the Associate Dean in order to take a course Pass/Fail. Approval will be given only during the registration and Drop/Add periods.

Absence from Class Due to Illness or Emergency

In cases of prolonged absence due to illness, injury, or other significant reasons, a student or a member of his or her family should communicate with the Associate Dean of the Carroll School of Management as soon as the prospect of prolonged or extended absences becomes clear. The academic arrangements for the student's return to classes should be made with the Associate Dean of the Carroll School of Management as soon as the student's health and other circumstances permit.

Course Load

Students will take a minimum of 15 credits every semester in freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior year; lab requirements may add additional credits to the standard 15.

Students must be registered for at least four courses (12 credits) per semester to be considered full time.

Leave of Absence

A student in good standing who desires to interrupt the usual progress of an academic program and wishes to resume studies at Boston College within a year may petition for a leave of absence. The process begins in the Associate Dean's Office. A leave of absence will not typically be granted to students who expect to do full-time academic work at another institution and will be extended for no more than one year, although petition for renewal is possible.

Academic Integrity

All students are expected to maintain the highest standards of personal integrity and honor in all their academic activities. Students who violate these standards are subject to disciplinary action by a professor, and may be subject to further action after a hearing by a board of peers and faculty.

An Academic Integrity Board composed of both students and faculty investigates breaches of academic integrity (cheating, plagiarism, etc.) that are referred by either students or faculty. After reviewing a case the Board makes a recommendation to the Associate Dean who can then take disciplinary action that may include suspension or expulsion.

For more information, please see the University's policy on academic integrity.

Academic Grievances

In cases where a student believes that his or her work has been evaluated unfairly, the student shall meet with the instructor within a week. If the basis for the grade has not been established to the student’s satisfaction, the student may appeal to the relevant department chair for a second opinion. The appeal will take the form of a one-page statement of the student’s case and include a copy of the work in question.

The department chair, or his or her designate, will evaluate the appeal. This review is final. Should an alteration in the grading be found necessary, the department chair will consult with the faculty member involved. If unfairness is found, the department chair will designate an alternate evaluator of the student’s work for future submission.



The following forms are frequently used in the Carroll School. For a more comprehensive list of academic forms, visit University Student Services

Course Approval Form

The Course Approval Form needs to be completed before you take classes over the summer. Complete the form and have it signed by the sponsoring department before bringing the form to the Associate Dean's Office in Fulton 315.

Course Withdrawal Form

If you wish to withdrawal from a course, please stop by Fulton 315 to fill out a Course Withdrawal Form. We ask that you come to drop-in hours Monday, Tuesday, or Thursday 10:00 am-12:00 pm and 1:00-3:00 pm to speak a member of the staff about how you can make up the credits. Students can take no fewer than 12 credits per semester.

1-Credit Internship Form

The Internship Form is for students who are participating in an unpaid internship during the summer or the academic year. The form needs to be completed by the student's internship supervisor prior to being submitted to the Associate Dean's Office in Fulton 315. At the end of the internship, the student's supervisor must submit a letter of evaluation to the Associate Dean on company letterhead.

Note: A student can only complete this internship for credit two times during their time in the Carroll School.