Preparing for Study Abroad
Now that you have confirmed that you will be studying abroad, follow these steps:
1) Fill out on-line survey before you can get approval from the Associate Dean's office.
2) Drop off the "Study Abroad Approval Form" that you get from your International Study Advisor in OIP to Fulton 360 for Dean Keeley to sign. The signed form can be picked up 24-48 hours later. This is a preliminary approval to apply for study abroad. (Don't leave this approval until the last minute!)
3) Follow procedures for your desired program. You need to apply to your desired program through OIP and be aware of different deadlines.
4) You must get courses approved before you leave for study abroad. You can identify likely courses by consulting the Office of International Programs, the website and print materials of the institution where you will study, and by talking with students who have previously studied abroad. Getting approval will require you to bring a course syllabus to the home department at Boston College and have it approved on a Office of International Program Course Substitution Form. These forms can be found in Student Services and in Fulton 360.
Tips for course approvals:
- The only two Carroll School core classes that may possibly be approved are Organizational Behavior and Operations Management. It is not a guarantee, but a possibility.
- You can only obtain concentration elective approval from the department after completing the core classes (e.g. Basic Finance or Marketing Principles.)
- Cultural Diversity courses must have a non-Western culture focus in order to be approved. The first step to getting these courses approved is to see if your course description from your semester abroad matches a course description of Cultural Diversity classes that we offer at Boston College. If you cannot find a similar course on this list (for instance, "Aboriginal History" in Australia), please contact Fr. Arthur Madigan at email@example.com.
- Course approval contacts:
- Operations: Prof. Sam Graves in Fulton 354B; Samuel.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Management and Organization: Prof. Judy Gordon in Fulton 430A; email@example.com
- Finance elective: Prof. Elliott Smith in Fulton 437; firstname.lastname@example.org Note: Finance electives must be approved prior to leaving for abroad. Please visit the Finance Department's website for more information.
- Marketing elective: Prof. Bradford Hudson in Fulton 445; email@example.com
- Information Systems elective: Prof. Rob Fichman in Fulton 410A ; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Accounting: Prof. Billy Soo in Fulton 552B; email@example.com
- Business Analytics elective: Prof. Stephanie Jernigan in Fulton 350; firstname.lastname@example.org