Preparing for Study Abroad
Now that you have confirmed that you will be studying abroad, follow these steps:
1) Fill out on-line survey before you can get approval from the Associate Dean's office.
2) Follow procedures for your desired program. You need to apply to your program through OIP and be aware of different deadlines.
3) Drop off the "Study Abroad Approval Form" that you get from your International Study Advisor in OIP to Fulton 360 for Dean Keeley to sign. The signed form can be picked up 24-48 hours later. This is a preliminary approval to apply for study abroad. (Don't leave this approval until the last minute!)
4) You must get courses approved before you leave for study abroad. You can identify likely courses by consulting the Office of International Programs, the website of the institution where you will study, and by talking with students who have previously studied abroad. Getting approval will require you to bring a course syllabus to the home department at Boston College and have it approved on a Study Abroad Course Substitution Form. These forms can be found in Student Services and in Fulton 360.
Tips for course approvals:
- The only two Carroll School core classes that may possibly be approved are Organizational Behavior and Operations Management. It is not a guarantee, but a possibility.
- You can only obtain concentration elective approval from the department after completing the core classes (e.g. Basic Finance or Marketing Principles.)
- The following is a statement from the Office of the Associate Dean for the Core about what requirements a course must have in order to be approved as a Cultural Diversity course. “The Cultural Diversity requirement can be fulfilled by a) a course on Asian, African, Middle Eastern or Latin American cultures, b) a course on minority cultures of the United States derived from these cultures, c) a course on Native American cultures, or d) a course that address the concept of culture from a theoretical and comparative perspective either separately or in the context of the courses listed in (a), (b) and (c).” To gain approval, students should send the course syllabus and an explanation of how the proposed course meets the requirements above to Prof. Julian Bourg, Associate Dean for the Core, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Course approval contacts:
- Operations Management: Prof. Sam Graves in Fulton 354B; Samuel.email@example.com
- Management and Organization: Prof. Judy Gordon in Fulton 430A; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Finance: Prof. Elliott Smith in Fulton 437; email@example.com Note: Finance electives must be approved prior to leaving for abroad. Please visit the Finance Department's website for more information.
- Marketing: Prof. Bradford Hudson in Fulton 445; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Information Systems: Prof. Rob Fichman in Fulton 410A ; email@example.com
- Accounting: Prof. Billy Soo in Fulton 552B; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Business Analytics: Prof. Stephanie Jernigan in Fulton 350; email@example.com