Jenks Leadership Program for Undergraduates
The Class of 2016 Jenks leaders with Winston Center benefactor Bob Winston.
The Jenks Leadership Program (JLP) is the signature student leadership program of the Winston Center for Leadership and Ethics and the Boston College community. JLP, named for Weston “Sandy” Jenks ’47, identifies and prepares undergraduate men and women to take up leadership roles in the service of others and the common good. Strongly influenced by Robert Greenleaf’s work on Servant Leadership, JLP provides a solid foundation to enable its graduates to become responsible leaders in a global society. This complements Sandy Jenks’s original vision and fits the motto he developed, “Learning for Leadership, Leadership for Service.”
The JLP consists of three modules with each module taking place over a semester:
Module One (Spring Semester I): Individual Leadership
Module one will consist of a series of workshops that work on developing participants’ individual leadership skills.
Module Two (Fall Semester I): Team Leadership
Module two’s workshops will focus on the dynamics of team leadership with participants being grouped into small teams (4-5 members) and each team planning a service project.
Module Three (Spring Semester II): Service Project
During module three, the teams will execute their service projects.
Did you know?
- That the latest Jenks class was 60% students from MCAS.
- That Jenks students have performed more than 200 hours of community service.
- That through the course of the program 20 meetings are held for leadership training.
The application process is open to all Boston College freshmen, sophomores, and juniors from all schools. The goal is to admit 20-25 students into the program. Attend an information session to learn more about the program, meet the directors, and get information about the application process.
Fall 2015 Information Sessions
- Tuesday, September 8, Barat House First Floor (Newton Campus), 7:00 p.m.
- Sunday, September 13, Lynch Executive Center, Fulton 515, 7:00 p.m.
- Monday, September 14, Lynch Executive Center, Fulton 515, 7:00 p.m.
Selection Criteria - Selection is based on:
- Commitment to and potential for leadership
- Strong commitment to service for others
- Ability to contribute to group learning
- Commitment to attend and participate in all program events