associate professor - management and organization department
Ph.D., Texas A&M University
M.S., Fudan University
B.S., Nankai University
Professor Tieying Yu’s research focuses on understanding firms' strategic decisions, and how these decisions affect interfirm rivalry and competitive advantages, especially in a multi-market competition context (i.e., when firms compete simultaneously against the same rivals in more than one market). She has conducted research in various domestic and global settings, including the airline, automotive, and pharmaceutical industries.
Prior to earning her Ph.D., Professor Yu worked as an asset manager at Bank of China and at Shanghai Pudong Development Bank. At the Carroll School she currently teaches the M.B.A. core courses Introduction to Strategic Management and Strategic Management.
SELECTED APPOINTMENTS AND AWARDS
- 2015 – The Diane Harkins Coughlin and Christopher J. Coughlin Faculty Excellence Award for Graduate Teaching, Carroll School of Management
- 2009 – Temple/AIB Best Paper Award, Academy of International Business
- 2009 – Academy of Management Review Best Reviewer Award
- 2008 – Kelley Research Award, Carroll School of Management
- 2005 – Douglas Nigh Award for Interdisciplinary Research, Academy of Management’s International Management Division
- 2005 – Finalist for the Carolyn Dexter Award, Academy of Management
- 2004 – Finalist for the Richard N. Farmer Best Dissertation Award, Academy of Management
- Guo, W., Yu, T., & Gimeno, J. 2016. Language and Competition: Communication Vagueness, Comprehension Difficulty, and Market Entry. Conditional Acceptance at Academy of Management Journal.
- Gao, H., Yu, T., & Cannella, A. A. 2015. “Understanding Word Responses in Competitive Dynamics.” Forthcoming at Academy of Management Review.
- Yu, T., Subramaniam, M., & Cannella, A. A. 2013. Competing Globally, Allying Locally: Alliances between Global Rivals and Host Country Factors. Journal of International Business Studies, 44(2): 117-137.
- Yu, T., & Cannella, A. A. 2013. A Comprehensive Review of Multimarket Competition Research. Journal of Management, 39 (1): 76-109.
- Yu, T., Subramaniam, M., & Cannella, A. A. 2009. Rivalry Deterrence in International Markets: Contingencies Governing the Mutual Forbearance Hypothesis. Academy of Management Journal, 52(1): 127-147.
- Yu, T., Sengul, M., & Lester, R. H. 2008. Misery Loves Company: The Spread of Negative Impacts Resulting from an Organizational Crisis. Academy of Management Review, 33(2): 452-472.
- Yu, T., & Cannella, A. A. 2007. Rivalry between Multinational Enterprises: An Event History Approach. Academy of Management Journal, 50(3): 663-684.