associate professor - management and organization department
D.B.A., Boston University
M.B.A., Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore
B.Tech., M.S. University, Baroda, India
Professor Mohan Subramaniam specializes in the areas of global strategy, managing multinational companies and the strategic management of knowledge and innovation. His more recent work includes new strategic frameworks for the digital economy and ecosystems. His research appears in several leading management journals including the Academy of Management Journal, Strategic Management Journal, Journal of Management Studies, Journal of International Business Studies, the Journal of Management, and the Harvard Business Review. His research has also received several grants including those from Novell Corporation, the National Science Foundation and the Carnegie Bosch Institute, and awards from the Academy of Management, the Strategic Management Society, McKinsey & Company and the Decision Sciences Institute.
He teaches courses in strategy, global strategy and innovation management. Professor Subramaniam has consulted with and taught senior executives at leading global companies including General Motors, Hamilton Sunstrand, Nextel, New Balance, Voestalpine, Tata Consulting Services and executive development programs at the University of Connecticut and Boston College.
Professor Subramaniam is a member of the Academy of Management, Strategic Management Society and the Academy of International Business.
He serves on the editorial board of the Journal of Management.
- Iyer, Bala and Subramaniam, M. 2015. “The Strategic Value of APIs”, Harvard Business Review. January.
- Subramaniam, M. Ernst, H. and Dubiel, A. 2015. “From the Special Issue Editors: Innovations for and from Emerging Markets” Journal of Product Innovation Management. 32 (1), 5-11.
- Meyer, J., Subramaniam, M. 2014. "Appropriating innovation's technical value: Examining the influence of exploration." Journal of Business Research. 67 (1), 2860-2866.
- Yu, T. Subramaniam, M. and Cannella, A. 2013. "Competing globally, allying locally: Host country factors and alliances between global rivals." Journal of International Business Studies. 44, 117-137.
- Tieying, Y., Subramaniam, M., and Cannella, A. 2009. "Rivalry deterrence in global markets: Contingencies governing the mutual forbearance hypotheses." Academy of Management Journal. 52 (1): 127-147.
- McIntyre, D. and Subramaniam, M. 2009. "Strategy in Network Industries: A Review and Research Agenda." Journal of Management. 35(6) 1494-1517.
- Subramaniam, M. and Youndt, M. A. 2005. "The influence of intellectual capital on the types of innovative capabilities." Academy of Management Journal. 48 (3): 450-464.
- Subramaniam, M. and Venkatraman, N. 2001. "Determinants of transnational new product development capability: Testing the influence of transferring and deploying tacit overseas knowledge." Strategic Management Journal. 22 (4): 359-378.
Prior to receiving his D.B.A., Professor Subramaniam held industry positions in multinational companies including Asea Brown Boveri and Sanyo.