associate professsor and chairperson - accounting department
Ph.D., Northwestern University
M.S., Northwestern University
B.S., University of the Philippines, summa cum laude
Professor Billy Soo's research interests are in audit markets and auditor tenure, disclosure incentives, and managers’ and equity market’s responses to financial regulations. He has published in The Accounting Review, Journal of Accounting Research, Contemporary Accounting Research, Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory and Journal of Accounting and Public Policy.
He teaches all levels of financial accounting and financial statement analysis to undergraduates, graduates and executives.
SELECTED APPOINTMENTS AND AWARDS
- 2012, 2008 Carroll School Honors Program Outstanding Professor Award
- 2011 Distinguished Alumni Award, University of the Philippines College of Business Administration
- 2010 Carroll School Distinguished Teacher Award
- 2008 Honorary member, Boston Security Analysts Society
Professor Soo has served or is currently serving on the editorial boards of Accounting Horizons, Issues in Accounting Education, Philippine Management Review and Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory.
- “Changes in Audit Firm Competition and the Big N Premium” with Elizabeth Carson, Roger Simnett and Arnold Wright. Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory 21 (3) (August 2012): 47-73.
- “Auditor Tenure and the Ability to Meet or Beat Earnings” with Larry Davis and Greg Trompeter Contemporary Accounting Research 26 (2) (Summer 2009): 517-548.
- “The Relevance of Form 8-K Reports” with Mary Ellen Carter. Journal of Accounting Research (Spring 1999): 119-132.
- “Evidence of Regulatory Noncompliance with SEC Disclosure Rules on Auditor Changes” with Kenneth B. Schwartz. The Accounting Review (October 1996): 555-572.
- “The Association Between Auditor Changes and Reporting Lags” with Kenneth B. Schwartz. Contemporary Accounting Research (Spring 1996): 335-352.
- “An Analysis of Form 8-K Disclosures of Auditor Changes by Firms Approaching Bankruptcy” with Kenneth B. Schwartz. Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory (Spring 1995): 125-136.
- “Accounting for the Multinational Firm: Is the Translation Process Valued by the Stock Market?” with Lisa Gilbert Soo. The Accounting Review (October 1994): 617-638.
Previously, Professor Soo worked for the accounting firm SGV & Co. (previously a part of Andersen Worldwide and now a member of Ernst & Young Global), and earned his CPA in the Philippines.