assistant professor - operations management department
Ph.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
M.Eng., National University of Singapore
B.Eng., Tsinghua University
Professor Liu studies operations management topics in service industries (e.g., health care, retail and transport). His current research focuses on the design and control of service systems, with capacity constraints and complex customer behaviors. One particular application area of his research is health care, in which he addresses questions of how to deliver health services in a more timely, effective and efficient way. Trained as both an operations researcher and a data scientist, he draws methodological tools from stochastic modeling, optimization and statistics. Prior to joining the Carroll School of Management, Professor Liu was on the faculty of Health Policy and Management Department at Columbia University.
SELECTED APPOINTMENTS & AWARDS
- Honorable Mention, 2017 CSAMSE Best Paper Award
- 2014 Calderone Junior Faculty Research Award, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University
- Third Place, 2013 INFORMS Junior Faculty Interest Group (JFIG) Paper Competition
- George E. Nicholson Award (for the best performance in Ph.D. qualifying exams), Department of Statistics and Operations Research, UNC-Chapel Hill, 2006
- “When Waiting to See a Doctor is Less Irritating: Understanding Patient Preferences and Choice Behavior in Appointment Scheduling.” (with S. Finkelstein, M. Kruk and D. Rosenthal.) Management Science, published online on April 5, 2017.
- “Optimal Choice for Appointment Scheduling Window under Patient No-show Behavior.” Production and Operations Management, 25(1) 128-142. 2016.
- “A Study of New York City Obstetrics Units Demonstrates the Potential for Reducing Hospital Inpatient Capacity.” (with Green, L.) Medical Care Research and Review 72(2) 168-186. 2015.
- “Appointment Scheduling under Patient Preference and No-show Behavior.” (With Feldman, J., Topaloglu, H., and Ziya, S.) Operations Research, 62(4) 794-811. 2014.
- “Panel Size and Overbooking Decisions for Appointment-based Services under Patient No-shows.” (With S. Ziya.) Production and Operations Management, 23(12) 2209-2223. 2013.
- “Multiresource Allocation Scheduling in Dynamic Environments.” (With Huh, T., Truong, V. )Manufacturing and Service Operations Management 15(2) 280-291. 2013.
- “The Productivity and Cost-efficiency of Models for Involving Nurse Practitioners in Primary Care: A Perspective from Queueing Analysis.” (With T. D’Aunno) Health Services Research 47(2) 594-613. 2012.
- “Dynamic Scheduling of Outpatient Appointments Under Patient No-Shows and Cancellations.” (With Ziya, S., and Kulkarni, VG.) Manufacturing & Service Operations Management 12(2) 347-364. 2010.
- “Service Times in Call Centers: Agent Heterogeneity and Learning with some Operational Consequences.” (With Gans, N., A. Mandelbaum, H. Shen and H. Ye.) In Borrowing Strength: Theory Powering Applications - A Festschrift for Lawrence D. Brown. Institute of Mathematical Statistics Collections Vol. 6 (2010) 99-123. 2010.