Richard McGowan, SJ
associate professor of the practice - finance department
D.B.A., Boston University
M.Div., Th.M., Boston College
M.S., University of Delaware
B.S., Widener University
Richard McGowan, S.J., is associate professor of the practice in the Finance Department at the Carroll School of Management at Boston College. The focus of his research is on the interaction of the business and public policy processes. Professor McGowan has published six books that focus on variety of topics that included gambling, tobacco, alcohol, and marijuana. Three of these books focused on the gambling industry with the latest entitled “The Gambling Debate.” He is currently writing a book on the “Ethics of Disgust, Public Policy and the Sin Industries.” He also has studied how microfinance influences the economic development of El Salvador.
Economics Edtior, Gaming Law Review and Economics
SELECTED APPOINTMENTS AND AWARDS
- Loyola Maryland, Jesuit Chair (Spring, 2017)
- St. Joseph University, MacLean Chair (Fall, 2007)
- Induction into Beta Gamma Sigma in recognition of teaching excellence (Spring, 1992)
- Induction into the Golden Key National Honor Society in recognition of teaching excellence and service to students (Fall, 1989)
- “Demand for the Ultimate Fighting Championship: An Econometric Analysis of PPV Buy Rates,” Journal of Business and Economics, Volume 6, No. 6, June 2015: 1032-1056
- “The Dilemma that is Sports Gambling,” Gambling Law Review and Economics, Volume 18, No7, September, 2014: 670-678.
- “Casino Gambling and Drunk Driving: How Are Communities Impacted?,” Gambling Law Review and Economics, Volume 17, No.10, November, 2013: 729-734.
- “Grass is Always Greener When it’s Legal: Policies for State Regulated Marijuana,” The Economists’ Voice, October, 2012.
- “Casinos or No Casinos: What are the Relevant Considerations,” Gambling Law Review and Economics, Volume 16, No.1-2, January, 2012: 27-42.
- Privatize This? Assessing the Opportunities and Costs of Privatization. Praeger Press, March, 2011.
- The Gambling Debate, Greenwood Press, January, 2009.
- Government and the Transformation of the Gaming Industry, Edward Elgar Publishing Inc., July, 2001.
- Lotteries: The Key to the Rise of the Gambling Industry, Lexington Books, expected, June, 2016.
- Memberships: Academy of Management, Policy Studies, Strategic Management Society, International Association of Business and Society, Society for the Advancement of Socio-Economics.
- Editorial Board of Journal of Gambling Studies
- Board of Directors, National Center for Responsible Gambling (1999- 2011)
- Massachusetts’ Compulsive Gambling Council (2005-present)