professor - information systems department
Fulton Hall 460E
Ph.D., Emory University Goizueta Business School
M.B.A., Georgia State University
M.Div., Emory University
B.A., Furman University
Professor Gerald C. (Jerry) Kane's research interests involve how organizations develop strategy, culture, and talent in response to changes in the competitive landscape wrought by digital technology, such as social media, mobile devices, Internet-of-Things, analytics, and emerging technologies (i.e. virtual reality, augmented reality, artificial intelligence). His published research has appeared in MIS Quarterly, Information Systems Research, Organization Science, Management Science, Marketing Science, Harvard Business Review, and MIT-Sloan Management Review. Dr. Kane has also consulted with Fortune 500 companies and taught executive education worldwide on managing and competing within an increasingly digital environment.
SELECTED APPOINTMENTS AND AWARDS
- 2017-present. Senior Editor, MIS Quarterly.
- 2013-present. Guest Editor, Digital Business for MIT-Sloan Management Review.
- 2012-2014. Associate Editor for MIS Quarterly.
- 2009. National Science Foundation CAREER Award. Title: Using Social Media to Manage Knowledge, award number 0953285.
SELECTED ACADEMIC PUBLICATIONS
- Gerald C. Kane and Sam Ransbotham. “Content as Community Regulator: The Recursive Relationship Between Consumption and Contribution in Open Collaboration Communities.” Organization Science (27:5), September-October 2016, pp. 1258–1274.
- Gerald C. Kane and Sam Ransbotham. “Content and Collaboration: An Affiliation Network Approach to Information Quality in Online Peer Production Communities.” Information Systems Research (27:2), June 2016, pp. 424–439.
- Gerald C. Kane, Jeremiah Johnson, and Ann Majchrzak. “Emergent Lifecycle: The Tension Between Knowledge Change and Knowledge Retention in Open Online Coproduction Communities.” Management Science (60:12), December 2014, pp. 3026–3048.
- Gerald C. Kane, Maryam Alavi, Guiseppe (Joe) Labianca, and Stephen P. Borgatti. “What’s Different About Social Media Networks? A Framework and Research Agenda.” MIS Quarterly (38:1), March 2014, pp. 257–304.
RECENT MANAGERIAL PUBLICATIONS
- Fredrik Svahn, Lars Mathiassen, Rikard Lindgren, and Gerald C. Kane. Mastering the Digital Innovation Challenge.” MIT-Sloan Management Review. Spring 2017.
- Gerald C. Kane, Douglas Palmer, Anh Nguyen-Phillips, and David Kiron. “Winning the Digital War for Talent.” MIT-Sloan Management Review. Winter 2016.
- Gerald C. Kane. “Enterprise Social Media: Current Capabilities and Future Possibilities.” MIS Quarterly Executive (14:1), March 2015, pp. 1–16.
- Gerald C. Kane, Douglas Palmer, Anh Nguyen-Phillips, and David Kiron. “Is Your Business Ready for A Digital Future?” MIT-Sloan Management Review (56:4), Summer 2015.
RECENT INDUSTRY REPORTS
- “Aligning the Organization for Its Digital Future.” 2016 Report on Digital Business from MIT-Sloan Management Review and Deloitte University Press http://sloanreview.mit.edu/projects/aligning-for-digital-future/
- “Strategy, Not Technology, Drives Digital Transformation.”
2015 Report on Digital Business from MIT-Sloan Management Review and Deloitte University Press http://sloanreview.mit.edu/projects/strategy-drives-digital-transformation/
- “Social Media...You Haven't Seen Anything Yet.” TEDxLongwood. Boston, MA. July 7, 2014.